Engine trouble? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Engine trouble?

Sometimes I think I'm just paranoid, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

The noises my 250's engine is emmiting has me worried. A couple of weeks ago, durring cold morning starts, the engine would let out this perplexing and worry-inducing sound. Immagine mowing the lawn, running over a bolt (or some chunk of metal), and the sound that the bolt makes as it strikes the blades. A really sharp and quick metalic clang. I start the bike up, and as it's idling, every once in a while, CLANG! This doesn't happen durring every startup. But once the engine would warms up, the sound doesn't happen anymore. Did something in the crankcase or gearbox break off? Is that possible? Also, just recently (day before yesturday), the engine would let out a little metallic tap every time a cylinder fired. This sound is like a tap of a pen on a metal table, and only happens once the engine warms up.

This shit has me worried. The bike's 1.5 months old, and has only 1800 miles on it. This can't be time for engine problems, can it? I've been giving it early oil changes.

I'd take it to the dealer for them to take a look at it, but I don't wanna sit around while they pick their ass for 3 hours, charging me $80/hr. Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 04:30 AM

Isn't your bike still under warranty? It won't cost you a dime, right? Don't feel bad about using the warranty. Your bike should not be making those noises.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Today I decided to take the thing down to the dealer. I don't wanna ride it cuz it's cold and I have a cold, so I call up my friend with a pickup. While waiting, I go outside and start up the bike to hear the strange noises one more time to make sure the dealer can't say "what noises? 80 bucks, plz." And what does it do? well of course! It sounds perfect. No strange noises or anything. It, just like me, must also be afraid of the dealer.

So, uh, anyone else's bike act the same way? Or is mine the only one with a personality?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:00 PM

Hi All-

It's warranty work, this shouldn't cost you a thin dime.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 04:47 AM

The noise when the engine is cold is prolly the pistons slapping against the side if the cylinder walls cause of no oil at the start. Perfectly normal long as it goes away after a few seconds.

The pinging noise when it's warm is prolly from bad gas or too low octane. Make sure you buy your gas from a reputable source.

It's amazing how many noises an engine will make. Specially when you're in the middle of nowhere!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mac020

It's amazing how many noises an engine will make. Specially when you're in the middle of nowhere!
It's also amazing how much more gas they use in the middle of nowhere.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:31 AM

Not to hijack the thread or anything but how bad is this pinging sound? I've had mine do that every once in a while... should I stop as soon as possible an drain the tank, or just let it go and dump a booster at the next opportunity?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:17 AM

I would not recommend any gas-oil additives in your bike. Cage engines can deal with the stuff but in my experiance bike engines cannot. If you do deciede to put the market gimmick stuff in your tank remember most of the stuff will treat 20 gallons or more so put very little in.

I would just drain my tank. Premium from 76 is all I use and I have never had any troubles, bike or cage...

-M-
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Not to hijack the thread or anything but how bad is this pinging sound? I've had mine do that every once in a while... should I stop as soon as possible an drain the tank, or just let it go and dump a booster at the next opportunity?
It happened on about three consecutive occasions for me, and went away just as abruptly. My tank is almost empty, so if absolutely need-be, I'll fill up with better gas. I've been using the regular 87 octane stuff from Arco. That's what the MOM calls for. Wasn't there a thread around here not too long ago talking about just that? That a higher octane rating isn't needed if the MOM doesn't call for it?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:04 PM

I always used the best stuff I can find, which happens to be 93 around here. I thought that is what everyone used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode