Trouble finding used bikes... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Trouble finding used bikes...

Now that i've began looking for used bikes i'm starting to realize it's a lot harder than people lead it on to be.

I don't know how many times i've looked cycle trader and other various sale postings with no luck...there's definitely plenty of bikes out there but all the prices just seem kinda high. If i were to get an SV i'd want an S, and they are just too exspensive for me. My budget is 3500-4000 depending on the bike. Mainly i'm looking for a 00-03 cbr, r6, or gixxer. I see people saying they get these bikes with reasonable mileage for around 3500 but i can't find any in that price range.

I guess i just need to put in my time and be patient. It would be great to hear some advice for places to look. I think dealer bikes are pretty much out of the question right? I want in to one and when i told him how much i had to spend he took me into the back and showed me a pos "Seca-II"...?

Btw, this would be my first bike but i have had SOME riding experience. Nija 500's aren't out of the question, i just can't find one...

Last edited by FloridaMx5; 03-09-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:06 PM

Re: Trouble finding used bikes...

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaMx5
Mainly i'm looking for a 00-03 cbr, r6, or gixxer.
Btw, this would be my first bike but i have had SOME riding experience.
Uh oh, get ready for the wrath of Smitty!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Haha well i all for constructive criticism.

From everything i've heard the generally concensus is 600's aren't good to start out on. But at the same time there is a large group who started out on just that and say they had no problem at all? Were they lucky or just carefull...i know probably a little bit of both. I have no desire to kill myself, i already have a sports car and the bike would just be a new toy, but more so because i want to get involved in the world of sport bikes and keep it as a hobby for many years. The main reason i would want to start off with a 600 is money. I can't really afford to take a hit on resale price in 4-5 months and buy the 600 i want.

BUT there is no real need to start bashing...as much as i would like a 600 race rep, i think i'm just gonna keep lookin for a sv650s to start with. I did find an 01 for a reasonable price which i'm very interested in. And if not this one then it will be another 650s, i think this would be the perfect bike for me to start with and keep me happy for the next year or so.

The 00 & 01 race rep bikes are a lot more reasonable for a first bike than the 03-06 bikes though wouldn't you say? Not a statement, just out of curiosity...?

Any comments on the 00 & 01 650s' compared to newer models?

Thanks for any help! -John aka nub rider

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 04:14 PM

took me a few months to find a bike. i was looking for a f4i but ended up buying a '04 SV650S with only 1600 miles on it for 4600. Guy just didn't have time to ride. Just keep looking. Find local online forums and keep checking their classifieds. The 650 is my first bike and I don't have any complaints yet.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Were in FL are you? If you are near tampa I know of quite a few places around here that have good deals on bikes. Finding a 00-03 bike in that range is a bit hard. I ended up with my 97 750 partly due to that reason. What you need to look for in the race replica bike is wether or not they are fuel injected more than the year. Pretty much everything after 99 that I've found is fuel injected and theirfor have ALOT more power than a carburated bike. If you like the whole RR look try looking for a F3 or a YZF600. You can find them pretty cheap and they have hit bottom for value and you can resell them for what you buy em for. If your near me give me a shout and I'd be more than happy to help you look around or when you get one go for a ride with ya.

Sepias
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 AM

No riding experience? I'd say try to look for a little less powered 600 say a 90's bike. cbr600 f2, f3's are good starter bikes. F4 are a bit more powerful, but are the better noob starter bikes. Since demand for sports bike in Florida is a lot, more like 10-20 folds bigger, then here in NC, you'll be hard pressed to find a good deal since you have to 'compete' with almost every other florida person to find it first.

I know around my area of a few online classifieds like craigslist.org as well as local forums that sells bikes. I can find deals almost all the time. Even when I'm not looking. You can also try to talk the price down from a private party, this is known as negotiations. Many people list their bikes higher then what they are worth in hopes that they would have some buffer zone in case you want to talk them down on price.

Another way of finding good deals is if you know of some riding friends in your area and hang out with them. chances are that if they ride quite a bit in a large group, then they may know someone selling a bike or two for a good price. Remember, most bikers will help you out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:17 AM

Well if you DID go with a used Ninja 500, which would be the smartest choice, you probably don't have to worry about taking a hit on resale. There's a huge demand for those bikes used, which is why you don't see a lot of them. It's not unreasonable to think you could resell it for the same money you paid a year later, or close to it.

SV650 is again a better choice than a 00+ 600. And there's still a pretty good demand for those bikes in that price range .

If you're going with a CBR, you're going to be hard pressed to find a 2000 or newer for under $4K. Look at mid to later 90's.

Also, are you taking the MSF course? Buying riding gear? Take that into consideration with funds.

And if you're comfortable with it, you could always buy a bike on ebay, or at least use it as a measuring stick to find out what they're selling for.

Pick up a Want Ads, and if craiglist.com is big in your area there should be bikes listed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 08:05 AM

JBaz has pointed out the the 500cc vertical twins are a bike on demand because of their demand by people starting & feel 250cc is lacking a bit in performance. Also said 500s offers a sensible regular riding position instead of the extreme lean forward position along with foortests set so high & to the rear not to mention they pull at the lower revs for the high revs of a sportbike are so different & make learning quite a task, to say the least.

Also check up on cost of insurance of the above 500s VS the sportbikes of 600cc tack in costly of protective riding gear & I do hope you have booked a date with the MSF Course which is a MUST to a beginner besides knowing booking times will start to be farther away.

Also at the start, as you will see in the MSF Course with small bikes people tend to drop the bikes & same is to be expected on your first bike. Said plastic fairings are costly things to replace or try to cover up plus snapping off some things like gear change levers, hand control levers, mirrors, signal lights & other thinks do take away the good things on any bike.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-13-2006 at 06:14 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty

Also at the start, as you will see in the MSF Course with small bikes people tend to drop the bikes & same is to be expected on your first bike. Said plastic fairings are costly things to replace or try to cover up plus snapping off some things like gear change levers, hand control levers, mirrors, signal lights & other thinks do take away the good things on any bike.
+1
Me and my bike found that one out the hard way Again if your near me in FL let me know, I've been all over the area here looking for bikes and equipment. I also know were the MSF courses are held, and which one is the better of them (take the one in Tampa they are realy good and nice). Hollar if ya need anything.

Sepias
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
+1
Me and my bike found that one out the hard way Again if your near me in FL let me know, I've been all over the area here looking for bikes and equipment. I also know were the MSF courses are held, and which one is the better of them (take the one in Tampa they are realy good and nice). Hollar if ya need anything.

Sepias
I'm down in West Palm, I wouldn't mind driving some distance if i found a good deal but i don't know if Tampa would work out. Thanks for offer though, I appreciate it!

Well the sv I was looking for is sold, it was a steal assuming nothin was wrong with it. $2800 on a 01 650s with <10k miles!..and from a dealer. I'm just going to keep looking though, I realize it might take a while. You guys are absolutely right about the demand in for sport bikes in Florida, it's crazy how fast bikes go down here.

Wish me luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode