Salvaged bike question. (long) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Salvaged bike question. (long)

Some of you guys might remember me posting about my cousin's salvaged f4 he bought a while ago. Well to make a long story short, he bought the bike (2000 honda f4 w/ 5k on th clock for $2300.00) It was lowsided on the right side while approaching a stop sign resulting in the salvaged title. The right side fairing was rashed up and cracked in a few places,case cover rashed a bit, the front fairing rashed and cracked,turn signal broken, fairing stay bar bent, gearshift mechanism and footpeg broken, and rear seat cowl cracked. We've replaced everything but the fairings and case cover. We called the DMV to get someone out to inspect it and their draggin their feet . My question is do the fairings need to be on it to get a clear title, and if so, what else can we look to fix while we're waiting on these slow ass people? I mean what are they looking for in regards to it being safe? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for reading this long ass post. All help appreciated. This is in VA by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:58 AM

Make sure everything you put on the bike is DOT approved. They shouldn't be consurned about the look of the bike, just the overall functionality. I would pull the fairings if they look bad though, just incase you get an idiot. You might go down to your local tax place, were the issue lisense plates, and see if they would be willing to inspect it and approve it for you. Make sure the bike is warm when you take it down there so it perks right up when you start it, you dont want it to take a bit to be ready. You never know who will be sent to approve you, they might not know anything about bikes and are just following a check list, so just make sure its ready to show.

Good luck,
Sepias
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:38 AM
Strength and Honor

I haven't done a salvage title but have done a non-titled trailer. It required a Sheriff in my county but they were quite responsive (20mins after I called). Since I live very close to the Sheriff's dept, I'd have taken it over there if it would have speeded up the process.

Our DMV does also do quickie inspections as well, so give them a ring in advance to see if that's allowed.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode