I hope you get thrown in jail - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

I hope you get thrown in jail

linky

So I find a Street rod review in Popular Mechanics. The review is about what you would expect from a non-motorcycle mag.

Quote:
SAN DIEGO--As hard as it may be to believe, Harley-Davidson has actually taken its V-Rod custom cruiser and turned it into a long-wheelbase sport custom, the 2006 VRSCR Street Rod (at dealers now), capable of leaning 40º to either side. Because the V-Rod is so popular in Europe, Harley gave those zany journalists first crack on the bike yesterday. This morning as we were suiting up at the curb, we discovered missing footpeg feelers as well as heavily ground down ones on some of the test bikes. Being less hard-core riders than those guys, we never thought we'd be able to duplicate that feat. But sure enough, we scraped the peg feelers twice going up the switchbacks of Palomar Mountain in California. In other words, we took the bike into sport-riding territory after only a morning warmup, mostly for the photographer's camera. Going all the way down to the feelers completely eliminates the "chicken stripes" on the rear tire, scrubbing rubber all the way to the sidewall shoulders. That's impressive both for the Street Rod and for us. Is this really a Harley? Oh yeah! And beyond all that, the VRSCR is simply a very enjoyable motorcycle to ride all day. Just one quip: The mirrors need to be positioned farther apart--it's impossible to see directly behind while riding. Sorry, but for the fine details of how H-D reinvented the V-Rod/Revolution V-Twin combination--the line that's dragging this 102-year-old company into the 21st century--you'll have to wait for an upcoming issue of POPULAR MECHANICS magazine.--Ken Juran
Yada yada. Whats funny is the second comment left on the site

Quote:
Absolutely irresponsible behavior. Drawing sparks from your 'peg feelers' in a highly fire-sensitive area like Palomar Mountain is criminal. I'm going to report this act to the California Dept. of Forestry. I hope you get thrown in jail.
Priceless....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:03 AM

haha sparks from peg feelers? I don't think so. More like little grind marks and theres no way they're makin it more than 2 inches if they're sparking. Looks like someone just feels like being important. I never understood why people got off on being shitbag snitches...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:23 AM

So called stupid writers. Still another one that cought my attention was "--The mirrors need to be positioned farther apart--". The poor idiot(s) did not realize that one should always do a "shoulder check" be one riding a m/c or driving a cage & NO m/c riders are not interested in electrical adjustable mirrors on their bikes.

Mind you when first tested on one of the m/c mags they commented that the ground clearance was extremely low & so easy to be dragging parts of the bike. One of the engineers for HD said that in fact the head factory people wanted it even lower.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-06-2006 at 11:27 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:08 PM

Hi All-

+1 to what Smitty just said with regard to "double-checking" what one sees in the rearview mirrors. They're helpful and everything to keep an eye on surrounding traffic, but I don't commit myself in traffic until I've found a safe place to peek over my shoulders.

Vash, the comment from the Safety Nazi that you found is hilarious! It's not even like sparks from metal against pavement are burning embers (like a tossed cigarette) that could cause a fire. The spark would literally have to nestle into a big pile of dried grass that had been soaked in gasoline for it to do anything at all. Good catch!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
So called stupid writers. ...

Mind you when first tested on one of the m/c mags they commented that the ground clearance was extremely low & so easy to be dragging parts of the bike. One of the engineers for HD said that in fact the head factory people wanted it even lower.
That was my interpretation as well. If anyone can scrape pegs on that bike, that's probably because the pegs are too low, and not because that bike makes its rider into an "ace". Stupid writers...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
Vash, the comment from the Safety Nazi that you found is hilarious! It's not even like sparks from metal against pavement are burning embers (like a tossed cigarette) that could cause a fire. The spark would literally have to nestle into a big pile of dried grass that had been soaked in gasoline for it to do anything at all. Good catch!

~ Blue Jays ~
Guys, perhaps I'm naive, but to me that person's comment seemed very "tongue in cheek"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by veektor
That was my interpretation as well. If anyone can scrape pegs on that bike, that's probably because the pegs are too low, and not because that bike makes its rider into an "ace". Stupid writers...
The article was in Popular mechanics. I for one, didnt expect those guys to know much about bikes.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 05:27 AM

Hi veektor-

Yikes! Maybe I'm being obtuse again! If I was blonde I'd have an excuse.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:27 PM

Those in Popular Mechancs would be more at home with something like the Honda 70cc trail bike, a toat-goat or something like that to possibly a buddies HD or Cruiser.

Okay so I am a bit hard on them for in my younger years my father took away the few comic mags & supplied me with Popular Mechanics & Modern Science monthlies so yes what I read was better then the comic books & to be honest with you I knew more about the old m/c hanging around in our garage during WWII & was riding it right after the war 1/2 block down the dirt road to into the bush at 15 yrs of age. No one had to show me how the bike worked for from said Popular Mechanics I knew how the carb worked, how to charge up a totally shot battery & such-----so Popular Mechanics was my guide into the m/c world.

If you chaps wonder why not m/c mags rather then Popular Mechanics? Well during WWII m/c mags were not on the shelves & in truth my first m/c mags were weeklies from the UK being The Motor Cycle & The Motorcyclist that started to come out late in '46.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
haha sparks from peg feelers? I don't think so. More like little grind marks and theres no way they're makin it more than 2 inches if they're sparking. Looks like someone just feels like being important. I never understood why people got off on being shitbag snitches...
I think the second comment was funny!

If you think this person overreacted, you most likely don’t understand where this person may be coming from.

A couple years ago, in my area which is down the street from Palomar Mt. some POS, f**ng douche bag hunter who should have never left the city as well as been born got himself lost in the woods. So while it was windy with the dry Santa Ana winds, at the end of a very dry summer, this hunter starts a rescue fire. Needless to say it caught LOTS and LOTS of land on fire, killed something like 15 or so people and burned LOTS of houses and businesses. People were sucking ashes from quite a few miles away, certain highways were closed down and San Diego Chargers vs. the Dolphins on Monday night was moved to Tempe, AZ cause they couldn’t play in SD (I went to that game). Some people are just finishing their rebuild, some got the really sh!tty end of the stick from their insurance company and have a toasty foundation still today.

So if you think this person is wigging out, he might have a very good and personal reason for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode