helping out a fellow rider - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

helping out a fellow rider

my roommate was driving us to McDonalds when I spot someone struggling to pick up their bike on the entrance to a gas station. I immediately told my friend to stop the car, and she reluctantly pulled into the gas station and I run over and ask the guy if he needs help.

helped stand the bike up and watched him get on it and try to start the engine figured I'd wait for the engine to start up before I head back out. He couldn't get the engine to start, I looked down and saw that the gas was in the 'off' position so I just turned it to on and watch him try again. I start a small convo w/ him telling him I ride an f3 as well and tell him my bike takes some time to start up again after its been tipped over, and then realized he may have tipped the bike over as it stalled due to lack of gas. so I switched on the choke, pressing the starter as I twist the throttle a bit and sure enough after half a minute or so, it comes back to life.

now, I feel pretty good for helping out another rider, but as I sit back at home and think about it, he seemed like he was in a rush, maybe frustrated from dropping his bike and all. but he really gave off a big noobish vibe, like he wasn't comfortable w/ the controls of the bike, I was acting the same way w/ that same look as he did when I first got my f3. makes me think I should have kept talking to him after I got the bike started to see if he was alright or at least calm his nerves down a bit. I dunno, what do you guys think? was there anything else I could have done at that point? I more or less just said 'take it easy' and walked away after he thanked me... only to find out from my friend that the dude was heading towards the freeway, and this was at the start of afternoon traffic in LA. hope the dude's ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:27 PM

Apart from riding his bike to his destination while he followed in your friends car, I don't think there's more you could have done.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:38 PM

And if anything, it was really cool of you to even pull over and help him. Most people wouldn't do that.

Besides, not like you're going to give him a full instruction on how to ride a bike at a gas station!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:21 PM

I suppose if I dropped my bike and couldn't pick it up, that would be the case. Most likely I would rather avoid talking to people since I would be very emabarrased.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 PM

Nomad,
Sounds like you did the right thing and he probably was a little rattled. I encountered a similar situation while I was riding. Got behind two bikes (male and female) and the lady was obviously learning. The dude was wearing loafers and had his lady learning in rush hour no less. He pulled out in front of traffic and when it was her turn I realized that she didn't see an SUV coming from one direction. When she noticed, she was already halfway in the lane and hit her brakes, no foot down, and dropped it. I went up to help her pick it up, ZX6 IIRC, and she looked at me like where'd this guy with a helmet on come from. Eventually her partner turned around and I wanted to slap him for having her out at that time of day, she could have gotten killed.
Sorry for the long story. It just illustrates how difficult it can be learning to ride.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Strength and Honor

Having been there before (on both sides), its my opinion you did what should have been done. Sticking around might have only served to extend his embarassment and uneasiness. But its hard to guess b/c everybody reacts differently to each situation.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 05:46 AM

Speaking from personal preference, if I were to drop my bike it would make my day if another fellow rider came to the rescue no questions asked. I would be no more embarrased then I already was if someone did come to help out.

I've dropped my bike( slowly, at a stop) numerous times now. So far I have had to pick up the bike by myself most the times, and my bike is heavy as shit compared to the other 600cc out. It weighs in about 450lbs on a full tank! There were 2 or 3 times when I was with fellow riders when this happened and it made a world of difference(mentally and physically) when I had my comrades helping me get her back up. Every real rider knows that sooner or later (sooner than later) they are going to drop their bike.

The only time I would be truely embarresed when dropping my bike is if I was doing something squidish like reving the engine at a stop light really high in first and letting the clutch out too fast and flipping the bike into the intersection. Now if I was in an abandoned parking lot practicing stunts/stops and I dropped it, I wouldn't least bit embarrased. Thats equivilant to getting tackled in football, you're expecting it. Riding is a sport, and in every physical sport that I like, falling is an everyday occurance

You did the right thing Nomad, keep doing what you're doing, and ride safe.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:25 AM

Nomad, the only thing you need to know is that ANYTHING you did to help the guy out is considered a good deed.

Well done, mate.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

thanks, just a little mixed up about it because as I helped the guy pick up his bike, he immediately tells me its his first time dropping it or something to that effect. and after a few minutes of trying to start his bike I just kind of stepped in and started it up for him. it makes me feel kinda rude to have just kinda stepped in while he was still trying, though he did look confused and a little frustrated. but like some of you have said, I guess it would have been worse and quite patronizing if I stayed and watched him leave before I did
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:56 AM

I would honesty say Nomad that you did a lot to help him. I will often stop to help a fellow rider & in most cases they are just doing up the zippers of their jackets for when you get up in altitude of the Cdn Rockie Mtn roads you tend to notice the COLD that you did not notice at said lower altitude.

Last year I stopped to chap a HD rider though all I have is a 13mm spanner that takes the place of a 1/2". Though he had most of the work done on the bike & I was not goint to ask him what was he doing. Just that he was satisfied with the progress 90% completed & thanked me.

Still helping a fellow rider lift up his bike, then to correct the no starting problems means a lot. POSSIBLY this was his first venture with the bike, but then I would not lecture him about taking the MSF Course, so yes you did what most of us would have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode