Finally got a new (used) bike! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Finally got a new (used) bike!

Heres some shots of my 99 yzf600R. I took it out for a ride today, it was 30 degrees, but suprisingly a sweatshirt and carhart kept my body warm, winter gloves did not do it for my hands though. It was a solid 40 minute ride I would say, lots of fun. Just ordered a icon leather jacket and some riding gloves so I wont be riding squid for long. Next thing I want to get is frame sliders, after that I don't plan to put much more money into this specific bike except I am going to get riding boots and probably pants. The dude who dropped the bike off said not to start it up and then turn it off or I would foul the plugs because of the cold currently, unfortunatly a minute later after pulling into my driveway I guess I did not pull the clutch all the way in an stalled it :-\, hope I didn't hurt it. Other thing, the temp gauge didn't get anywhere above 60 C. Is this normal? I noticed it goes a lot higher than that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000024.jpg (198.2 KB, 199 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000026.jpg (189.8 KB, 181 views)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

girlfriend wanted to have her picture taken, she couldnt reach the ground
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000022.jpg (180.1 KB, 192 views)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000027.jpg (166.3 KB, 185 views)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 04:39 PM

nice growing collection there

what are your plans for the other two bikes?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 05:18 PM

Congrats! She's a beauty. My suggestion to you is don't ride squidly at all. Wait till you get all your gear. Think about it: You're new, and prone to mistakes. Your highest chances of crashing due to being a noob are the first miles you put on it. Ride it up and down the street if the itch really gets to you, but don't go on long trips.

On my ninja, the temp guage stays very close to the "C" while riding, especially on cold days. It only gets up to half way, like in my car, if I'm stopped in traffic. So don't worry about it not going up, it's normal.

Like they say, keep the shiny side up!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 08:33 PM

Grats on the bike. Looks great. I think what the guy who dropped it off ment was "dont just start the bike for the sake of starting it and then turning it off". If you stalled it and started it again its no big deal. I think he was just warning you that letting gas flow to the plugs and not burn can cause them to mess up. A short stall isn't gunna do anything. Like the last post said about the temp guage, dont worry about it. My 750 never gets over 60*C unless I'm stuck in traffic. Also, if your anything like me, dont worry when it hits 100*C either. Its normal if its just idling with no air going across the radiator. The fan doesn't even kick in until around 110*C best I can tell. Hope it warms up a bit for ya so you can ride.

Sepias
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Yea don't worry, its suppose to snow like 5 inches today . Oh yea and for the rest of my collection, well I should probably see what the mechanic can do for my katana, since I have no freaking idea whats wrong with it. The fzr is still my project, but both bikes are destin for ebay I would say.

Last edited by slick1537; 02-25-2006 at 12:56 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 07:06 AM

Nice looking bike.
Don't worry about the coolant temp. 60*C is 140*F which is ok for the temps you were riding in.

Whats wrong with the Kat? I had a '93 750 for years before finally selling it last summer.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Long story short, i am a tool, I bought it with fuel problems. Let a guy I work with work on the carborators, came back in the back of a pickup truck unable to start. I got it started a few months later, it emptied all the oil on my foot. Not sure from where. The original problem was that it would idle at like 3k at start up then go up to 5k when it was warm. Had to have the idle at at least 3k or it wouldnt start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode