Which octane - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Which octane

Just bought 99 R6 was wondering which octane of gas I should run? I bought a clymer manual and its says use 87octane. Should I stick with the manual or run high octane like 93-94?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 02:49 PM

My CBR954 pings like hell if I dont run 93 octane.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:22 PM

run 93. You can run 87 and up, but when you use gas with that low octane, you may damage the engine/spark plugs what not only if you do fast accelerations and rev really high. You could get away with it, but since its a motorcycle, I wouldn't worry about gas milage, just use 93.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

yeah thats what i thought high octane, thanks for info..
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 04:34 PM

I'm not following you guys.

From what I understand, if the manual calls for 87, you're wasting your money using a higher octane.

Higher octane doesn't necessarily = more performance or better for the engine if it's not required.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I fully agree but with a motorcycle that might run at high rpm's dont you think the higher the cleaner.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 05:36 PM

octane

i kinda agree with that statement, but....
i know in cars if it calls for 87 you better use 87. there are certain things like timing and stuff that the computer is set to run with a certain octane. although you might just be messing with your air/fuel mix. i dunno. follow your mom. if it says 87 or higher run 93 or 94, but if it only says 87, follow that. ultimately you'll know what to use by how your bike runs. hope this gave you some different opinions cause my bike says 91 OR higher. later. go see a dude named martinez on third street he can hook you up.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 05:53 PM

With high reving engines of modern sports bikes, low octane fuel can cause lots of engine nocks/pings. This is caused because of the gas sprayed into the cyclinder is not burning in the correct area (when the piston is all the way up, where max compression is). The gas, depending on the octane, would prematurely dedinate. This is because the higher the octane, the slower it burns so in high compression engines, the gasoline will not light up until it hits the correct compression and ignited by the spark plugs.

What's wrong with premature dedination? Well this can cause engine wear and damage. Because the premature dedination causes the gas to burn, which turns the oxygen and liquid gas thats sprayed in there from either carbs or injectors into carbon monoxide in the form of gas of which pushes the cyclinder back down to its fully extended state. Since the expanding pressure of the CO is formed before the piston reaches its max compression it causes extra force in the opposite direction on the pistol and the connecting rod. This causes stress on the metal and lead to microfissures (small cracks) and could end up reducing the life span of the engine.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 06:00 PM

so the lower the octane the lower ignition temp? but what about all this stuff that people say about their engines knocking, then thay increase octane and it stops. great info though. nice to hear technical explainations instead of opinions. thanx.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

so what to run

so want2ride what do you think i should run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode