Another down - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Another down

You guys remember how I posted my trip to the twisties on sunday? Well, I was browsing another forum and came upon an interesting story. Apparently some guy on a suzuki went into a turn too hot, went into oncoming traffic, hit an SUV, and flew over the guard rail. He died on the scene. This all happened two hours before I went out to ride. Here's the story:
Quote:
Off-duty deputy dies in motorcycle crash
Megan Blaney, Staff Writer

A young off-duty law-enforcement officer from Mira Loma died on Sunday morning in a motorcycle crash in the San Bernardino Mountains.
Billy Oren Drake II, 23, was riding his black Suzuki motorcycle south on Highway 18 when he lost control going around a curve near Vista Point about 10:40 a.m. Drake crossed into uphill traffic and crashed head-on into a beige Lexus sport-utility vehicle.

He was thrown over the guardrail and tumbled about 150 feet down a steep incline that borders the winding highway, California Highway Patrol Officer Harold Halldorson said.

Halldorson said Drake was a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy, but a spokesman for the Sheriff's Department could not confirm that Sunday afternoon.

Drake died at the scene despite resuscitation attempts. Although Drake was wearing a helmet, he sustained blunt trauma to the head, Halldorson said.

Drake was riding with several friends also on motorcycles. One jumped over the mountainside to try to help him. Another friend continued driving and reached the bottom of the highway before realizing Drake was no longer behind him. He drove back up the mountain, and realized there had been an accident only when he saw his friend's motorcycle by the guardrail, Halldorson said. The friend threw down his motorcycle and joined the rescue attempt.

Edward Anaya and his wife were headed to their mountain cabin from their home in Riverside County when they saw the downed motorcycles on the side of the road. Anaya, who is trained in CPR, said he scrambled down the cliff and tried to resuscitate Drake until paramedics arrived.

"I couldn't get a pulse, and he was cyanotic
(blue from lack of oxygen)," Anaya said. "His friends had been trying, but there wasn't much we could do."

The Crest Forest Fire Department, San Bernardino Fire Department, California Highway Patrol and the U.S. Forest Service responded to the scene.

"We rappelled a medic down there who deemed his injuries were beyond viable," said San Bernardino fire Capt. Sam Bashaw.

The driver of the Lexus SUV, Larry Sharpe of Riverside, was shaken by the accident, which demolished the front of his vehicle on the passenger side and caused his air bag to deploy.

"He was going so fast and lost it on that curve," said Sharpe, who is a doctor. "The lady in the car behind me said he was over so far, that if he hadn't hit me, he would have hit her or the guardrail anyway.

"This whole thing is such a shock. Death is never pretty for anybody."

Halldorson said speeding probably contributed to Drake losing control of the motorcycle and crossing lanes.

Anaya used to ride motorcycles but said he stopped because he was worried his luck would run out.

"Those things are way overpowered, especially for mountain roads like this," he said. "He looked like a nice, clean-cut kid. There's going to be a lot of crying parents and friends tonight."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Sad story. Does anyone know how fast he was going or have some estimate? It seems to me that if he did that amount of damage to the SUV he had to be hauling. My condolences to his family and friends. You all keep safe up there on those mountain twisties. They sound pretty dangerous.

Sepias
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 12:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
RIP....

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 02:20 PM

Damn, damn, damn...it gets harder and harder to read these threads. RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode