Ear Plugs - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Question Ear Plugs

On tuesday, I took a trip for the first time down to this burger place in Riverside where they have bikenight. I met a couple of people, and towards the end, a couple of us decided to hit the freeways for a ride (immagine that, a noob on a 250 trying to keep up with a two gixxers). Well, besides the cold air, the wind noise was bugging the crap outa me. So I'm thinking about getting earplugs, but I know nothing about em. To those of you who wear em: Any suggestions about what kind I should get? Which work better? Are they comfortable? Affordable? Maybe headphones for music?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:39 AM

I use the kind they give out in machine shops. made out of soft memory foam. They are cheap (free in my case), and work well. Foam by its very nature blocks high frequencies (wind noise) much better than low friequencies (speech) so you can still hear other people talk (so long as they dont mumble).
They are a must for taking long trips (for some reason you get much less tired if there is no wind noise) and for going fast (no noise to ditract you)

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
What kind of helmet are you using? A good helmet will cut down on wind noise dramatically. Also, you can get those custom fit earplugs for like $50-70.

Or you can buy regular fitting earplugs for a few bucks, you can usually find them at a sporting goods store. I wear earplugs on long trips...works wonders at high speeds. Problem is, when you are stopped is difficult to hear anything. But when I do stop riding, I don't have the ringing in my ears like I usually do...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:06 AM

The droning sound of a yosh RS-3 on long ass trips on the highway can be the most nausiating sound in the world. Wind wasn't really a problem... I have my earplugs from the army that I use. Little green ones that have "flange like" thinkgs going down them. Fit me perfectly. Wear them for hours and you don't even know they're there. Only thing I had to do was trip a little off the stems on the end so it didn't hit my helmet. I'm pretty sure you can get ones like that at most gun shops or army navy stores. Good stuff and pretty cheap.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 AM

I am in to my 60th year of riding which includes 42 yrs of dirt comp & some road racing. So at 75+ yrs of age my hearing is better then so many in their 20s & when in their line of work or on the streets I notice a lot in their 40 or 50s are with hearing aids. Not due to m/cing but the blast from so called music.

YET the wind factor will deafen you in a short length of time. I have had one set of custom made plugs that did not do much better then some of the foam ones. Lost them & the foam ones are always easy to obtain or will be in different pockets of my riding jackets with no worry of loosing the ones I paid $60.00 for.

You will also find such foam ones in many hardware stores & especailly places that sell lumber, power saws & such for there you are in the place with people that make their living using power saws & such.

I have a few soft containers for coins & that is where I strore my foam plugs I am using that week or possibly a bit longer, yet one does not want to wear them more then a few times. Also ones still in their containers in another pocket, of all my jackets, just in case I loose the coin container or decide it is time to dump the three sets I have been using the past week.

To cut down costs I buy a container of them & that means 200 sets of them in each container. So that will do for a number of yrs of riding.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-16-2006 at 09:51 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DocThee
What kind of helmet are you using? A good helmet will cut down on wind noise dramatically.
I have a Shoei X-11. Excellent helmet, I love it. It has great ventelation, and I'm guessing because of that, the noise is pretty loud.

I guess I'll head down to the hardware store, or maybe sporting goods, to get some foam plugs. I did notice that after I came home from bikenight, I felt tired. Thanks.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:01 PM

I use the ones I was issued from the Marine Corps. They are like the ones RoadStain described. You can get them for 10 bux from Brigade Quartermaster I use the yellow ones when I go to concerts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:40 PM

Wear ear plugs! You will suffer hearing loss without them.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 01:02 AM

i got some free foam earplugs from work... travelled between LA and San Diego w/ and w/o them and they helped out alot.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Strength and Honor

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
More at your beck and call

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode