helmets - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

helmets

What does everyone do with their helmets when they go in a store or somewhere? Do you lock them on your bikes or take them with you? I don't plan to buy an expensive helmet, so i thought i would lock it to the bike, but i've heard horror stories of things that happen. Like someone pouring a drink in it or an ice cream cone? It just seems like a pain to carry it. So what do ya do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:06 PM

I take my helmet with me reguardless. My biggest worry is not that someone will be malicous to it but more the wether and it raining or someone just bumping it by accedent as well and hurting it. Or even a dog pissing on it lol. If you want to lock yours to your bike, you might buy a helmet with a removable liner just incase something happens you can wash it. HJC makes fairly cheap but nice helmets with removeable liners.

Sepias
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:38 PM

i take it with me always. people do stupid things and that nylon strap can be cut very easily. depending on the store i usually leave it by th security guy up front for by customer service behind the desk or something like that so i dont have to carry it if i'm going to be in there for a bit.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:46 PM

$500 helmet = take it with me!!!

It's really not that big of a deal to carry it around. I never thought of leaving it with the security guy, but even then, I get better peace of mind when it's in my hand. If something does happen to it, I'll know that it's my doing, and not because I left it somewhere and someone else fucked it up. Kinda like if you crash your bike: shitty as it may feel, it'll feel much better than if your friend, or some dumbass you don't even know crashes it. But that's with a $500 helmet. If you get a cheap one, then it might be different. And I still don't think it's a pain to just carry it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 AM

Hi All-

Take it with you. Some knucklehead could drop it on a carpet-covered cement floor and the crushable padding would be damaged with no visible shell damage. It's not worth the risk. Helmets are a "one shot" piece of equipment.

When I ride to the gym I leave my helmet behind the desk on a deep shelf. The folks at the gym have known me for more than a decade and understand that the helmet can't be subject to impacts. I would never give this much trust to a retail store where they don't really know me.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:45 AM

I don't even take it off. I just ride the whole bike in the store and do some mobile shopping. LOL I usually take my helmet in with me. It would be so easy for someone to steal it or damage it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:10 AM

For me, it depends on where I am at the time. In my little town, I've got no qualms about locking it to the bike but, in some suburbs, I wouldn't even consider leaving it on the bike.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:10 AM

Ditto here. I find the locking tabs on bikes to be too much of a pain to use. Plus I'm ussually walking away from the bike by the time the helmet comes off anyway....(Take the left glove off, put key in pocket, take 2-3 steps while the right glove is removed, another 4 to pop ouf of the helmet, place both gloves in the helmet, another step, start pulling off the jacket. Yeah, I'm a creature of habit)

As for gyms, the most annoying part is that the helmet wont fit in a standard size locker. So the only choice you got is to ask someone to keep it behind their desk.. Few people ever mess with it.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:34 AM

Whats a gym and why are so many of you going to it? Is it anouther form of couch? Or some new type of TV that serves beer? LOL. Im at my gym right now

Sepias
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lateott_156
$500 helmet = take it with me!!!
QFT! When you spend that much on a helmet you have such better peice of mind taking it with you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode