new rider down on zx10 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

new rider down on zx10

Today, me and two buddies thought it'd be nice to "hit the road" for a few hours, but little did we know one of us would do exactly that. We live in south Florida and went for a ride out to the indian reservation to escape the heavy city traffic and stretch the throttle cables a bit. The roads out there are almost devoid of any cars, and law enforcement is very light. My only cause for concern was that one of my friends was fairly new to the sport. The fact was, he didn't even own a bike! The third member of our party owned two bikes, an 05 zx10 and an 05 gixxer 1000, and on occasion would let the "new guy" ride his zx10. We had talked often of the danger of a new rider being overwhelmed by the performance of any modern sport bike let alone one that can crack the ton in first gear! He believed that he needed a bike of "at least 1000cc" due to him being 6'8" and 230 lbs. Nothing I could say would change his mind and so eventually I let it go. So, we met at 10:00am and headed out, me on my SV, he on a ZX10, the other on a gixxer 1000. Fast forward a few hours, and there we were getting drinks (no alcohol) and gas before the ride home. The route home had a few nice long curves and some tight turns as well. I was in the lead of our ride when my friend on the zx10 comes by me on the outside just before the first hard right hander. The speed was posted as 30mph, I was going about 60 and he was going maybe 70. If this turn had been on the track I may have taken it around 80 so I had plenty in reserve and he could have made the turn too if he had just stayed calm and looked through the turn. I see him start running wide into the on comming lane then suddenly grab a big handful of brake. The bike stood straight up and off the road he went all the while holding the brakes fo dear life. The front wheel locked as soon as it left the tarmac and busted into a brief tank slapper just before spitting him off the high side. Luckily, only the bike and his ego were hurt. After a few backyard band-aids, the bike was at least rideable. The owner of the bike was not too upset and was much more concerned with the well-being of our friend. Thank God for small favors, cause it could have ended far worse. I hope that people will understand that modern sport bikes of any size are in fact race bike with lights, and should be treated with the same respect as a loaded gun,cause they can kill you just as quickly. Don't think that this is a post against liter bikes, they are great fun and can be very fast, but only if the rider has the skills to wield it. We as riders have to step up and be realistic about our abilities. If we don't police ourselves the government will do it for us, in the form of horsepower restrictions or possibly banning certain models. I am all for free choice and think people should be able to buy any bike they choose. I just wish some would use a little more discretion in making that choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 05:31 PM

Hi All-

Loaning a brand new literbike to someone who doesn't ride his or her own motorcycle regularly seems a bit wacky.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 06:18 PM

Re: new rider down on zx10

Quote:
Originally posted by twp187
I am all for free choice and think people should be able to buy any bike they choose. I just wish some would use a little more discretion in making that choice.
Agreed! Glad to hear your friend is alright and there are were no hard feelings. Lesson learned, I hope.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Wow, thats putting a lot of trust and responsibility in someone. Glad to hear that he is ok. Should be a lesson learned for the owner and the rider.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 07:37 PM

It's allways a nice ending when the person is OK. I don't know why people NEED literbikes for their size. I am 6 foot 2 and weigh 250lbs. I have an 01 gsxr750 and it's more than enough power for me. I can do crazy lengthy wheelies and can actually beat my friends on their literbikes through the twisties. Is a literbike actually any bigger in size (length, height, etc) than a smaller bike such as a 600 or a 750?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie_steve
Is a literbike actually any bigger in size (length, height, etc) than a smaller bike such as a 600 or a 750?
R1:
Length 82.1"
Width 28.3"
Height 43.5"

vs

R6:
Length 80.3"
Width 27.6"
Height 43.3"

----------------------------

GSX-R1000
Overall Length: 2030mm (80.0 in.)
Overall Width: 710mm (28.0 in.)
Overall Height: 1130mm (44.5 in.)

vs

GSX-R600:
Overall Length: 2040mm (80.3 in.)
Overall Width: 715mm (28.1 in.)
Overall Height: 1125mm 44.7 in.)
----------------------------

Those are dimensions straight off of Yamaha's and Suzuki's websites for the 06 models. Kawasaki and Honda only had seat height.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 08:30 PM

I hate to take this off topic, But could you by any chance show the place you were riding on http://maps.google.com/ for me? Im looking for some places to ride, or atleast cruise and have a good time or similiar.

Im in west palm also, Boca exactly, thanks.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 08:34 PM

Take a road trip to california, I'll show ya the San Bernardino Mountains
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:01 AM

I didn't know there was that much of a difference in the sizes of the bikes. I thought all of the bike were similar to the suzukis which are about the same height and length.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:46 AM

To me it sounds like he got a bit too confident and would of wrecked on a 600 or anything else.

That being said I totally agree with you about liter bikes. Theres really no reason for them on the street. I know the whole arguement about power everywhere, but if you dont like shifting why even get a sportbike.

If you are an experienced rider and enjoy your 1k, more power too you. To me its a waste though. To even get close to using a 600s capability you are riding way to dangerously for street riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode