Ninja 650R vs 06 GSX-R600 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Ninja 650R vs 06 GSX-R600

Well guy spring is almost here and soon I will be buying a new sportbike. I am having trouble deciding on what I want. Obviously the Gixxer 600 would be a more powerful bike but at $3000 more than the ninja 650r is it worth it? I was definatly not a kawi fan but after reading some reviews of the 650r this bike seems like something I might be interested in. My only concern with buying the 650r is that I wont be able to keep up with my friends with a parallel twin engine, since they are all riding r6s and gixxers, and I also heard that the 650r can feel heavy on twisties and wont be very much fun to ride there, which can also be a big problem. Also if anyone has any input on insurance and warranty information, it would be very much apreciated, as would be any other information. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 01:05 PM

The 650R is basically Kawi's answer to the SV650, and as such, it performs similarly. I actually read a head-to-head comparison and the SV came out on top.

The Gixxer is a completely different machine. Faster, more flickable, lighter etc. If you;re confident enough with your riding skills you shoulg probably get a race replica like the Suzuki.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

I know that the 650r was kawis answer to the sv. I would rather have GSX-R, but for the cost, is it really worth it? I mean it is 3000 dollars more. I really don't know what to think. As far as my riding experience goes, it is next to none. I am confident yes, but I know most would tell me to go with the less powerful machine. I guess what I am really asking is, what are you getting for $3000 more that you are not getting wiht the ninja? Thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Ice

As far as the differences, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference stating you are a noobie to riding. An experienced rider at the track or riding aggresively on the street would demand the performance of the gixxer. The gixxer is obviously the better bike, with a better price tag. You, being new bikes, would probably be able to ride the Kawi faster in the mountains/track.

If you wanna keep up with your buddies on the straights, get a drag bike. The Kawi is a better choice for a beginner. I think the gixxer is close to putting out 110 horse to the wheel. Your buddies will tell you you have a pussy bike and that it is slow. You will have the last laugh in a few years when your blowing around the outside of them in the mountains.

The Kawi seems as though it would be great intro into riding bikes. Learn your craft slowly. You'll live longer. It's always better to ride a slow bike fast, than ride a fast bike slow.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ice
...Learn your craft slowly. You'll live longer. It's always better to ride a slow bike fast, than ride a fast bike slow.
Wise words, Obi Wan.

(I know this comes across as sounding sarcastic, but it's not meant to. )

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, its a tough call, but I always seem to end up buying what I bash on for years. So I will probably end up with the Kawi, I just gotta say I really love the price tag and the styling that comes with it. I know the SV might handle better and have an extra horse or two but that bike is just fugly in my opinion.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 07:43 PM

Or... you could find a decent shape, low milage 03+ gixxer 600. 03-04 and 05-06 are very similar. Why pay a few grand more for something very very new, when you can get almost new?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 08:16 PM

Go for the Kwacker as it is a NEW bike at a good price & will be a ball of fun to ride compared your days on the old Yamaha or the Katana & then you can aim down the road for a hotter trotting bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode