My First VERY Close Call - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Angry My First VERY Close Call

Well Guys, I finally had my first near accident this weekend. It all started when i got off of work.

The weather was great outside. Very sunny with a few clouds here and there. High 50's with little wind. No rain in sight. The road was just callin me and my baby. As always I check my bike (05' yfz 600r) before I leave to make sure everything is snug. Tires:check. Lights:check. Brakes:check...and so forth.

My best routes are right outside the city on the back roads with hills and open plains, so thats where I was headin. Only problem is I have to get through the f*cking 5:00 o'clock rush to get there. This is quite literally the worst possible time to drive in my city. NO one pays attention to anyone else. They just want to get home, eat, and sit on their fat lazy asses and watch some tv. And they don't care what it takes or how wrecklessly they have to drive to get there.

On my way to the outskirts I take one of those sort-of-highways where the speed limit is 55 and there is cross traffic that has to wait to get across. Now, when cars travel on highways they usually travel in packs: a large group of cars then a giant gap until the next large group of cars. As always, I stay in front of the large group of cars as LONG as i'm traveling faster than the group! It's suicide to be mixed in with them.

While I'm cruisin down this strip thats about 5 miles long I repeatedly notice that there are cars gunnin across the crossing stops, as always, to beat the next wave of cars. I witness more than 3 times what could have been fatal t-bone accidents. Everytime, the person with the ride away (the ones on the highway) has to literally SLAM on their brakes to stop from hitting the dumb ass trying to cross. Seeing this happen repeatedly got my red flag WAY up. I'm now more cautious then normal...

...and sure enough......I'm still in front of my group coming up to the next crossing ,WITH the rideway (no stoping for the highwayers) and I see a large shiny cadallac waiting to cross on the right side. I'm thinking "now i just saw him miss his opening after the last "group" of cars passed, he's getting desperate now." The next group of cars in front of me was about 40 yards away. As soon as the last car past the cadallac he gunned it... right in front of me.... I QUICKLY turned my head around while starting to apply the brakes to warn the group of cars behind me of what was about to happen... Then it started.... I recalled all of my emergency braking I had practiced for HOURS in the parking lots, and performed one of the most important emergency stops of my life. I Pulled in the clutch and started slaming down through those gears to get to 1st while at the same time apply hard but STEADY pressure with my other foot and hand. not one time did my back tire skip or just come up completely, like it did in my earlier days of practice. Ours eyes connected as I came closer and closer upon his car... I missed him by literally a bike length. The end of his car just passed through my line of travel maybe a 1/4 of a second before I went through it. I went from 55 to 5 miles an hour in one breath... Worse part comes now. I look into my right mirror and see the other cars barreling down on me from behind. "Think fast....Think FAST....." I instantly let go of the clutch and twisted the throttle with a fast, hard snap of the wrist. Wow, right back up to 55mph... then shifted up to 2nd, then finally back to 5th.... Had I been on a liter or high end 600cc, with my experience( lack there of) I would have performed my first back flip right onto the pavement.

Within 10-15 secs. everything was back to normal. I continued right on and had on of the best rides I've ever had through my favorite backroads.

What a rush...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 10:11 AM

Sure does get the heart rate up, don't it?

"Great driving, great recovery Cole!"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:43 AM

You did everything as it should be done, still it does tend to get the rear end to pucker & as 'wig said the heart takes up a higher pace of where a Doc would measure your blood pressure & tell you the blood pressure EXTREMELY very high.

Fortunately the Yamaha YZF600r is probably the best to ride in town, of all 600 sportbikes as it does have the best mid-power range. Personally I feel if you were riding something like my Honda 929 or 954 you would not be doing a wheelie in getting away from the monster behind you for they do have lots of low RPM torque though with what feels like a quick action twist grip you need to know what you are riding.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sure does get the heart rate up, don't it?
For sure! My face became flush and I got that lightheaded feeling that you get after seeing something extremely disturbing in a good horror movie.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:57 AM
jab

Glad to hear you made it out ok, sounds like you did everything right. I am always worried about the people behind me cause ive had to many close calls, good thing you had the mindframe to downshift while braking, or you might have gotten creamed, this is something that alot of people dont practice, but should. If youre not up to par on practicing these techniques, the time spent thinking about downshifting will extend youre braking distance, and if you dont down shift, you may not get away from whats behind you. BTW smitty did you mean the 600r or the r6 has more mid than all other 600cc bikes?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Glad to hear you made it out ok
thanks Jab. One thing I've been wonderin about since this happened is if I should start riding in the back of the groups. Only problem with this is I don't get to gun it like I usually do every now and then... What do you guys think?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:58 PM

Glad you had the practice.

I like to stay out of groups all together, if possible.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Re: My First VERY Close Call

Quote:
Originally posted by matrixman
My best routes are right outside the city on the back roads with hills and open plains, so thats where I was headin. Only problem is I have to get through the f*cking 5:00 o'clock rush to get there. This is quite literally the worst possible time to drive in my city. NO one pays attention to anyone else. They just want to get home, eat, and sit on their fat lazy asses and watch some tv. And they don't care what it takes or how wrecklessly they have to drive to get there.
I got a good laugh out of that part, thanks.

Glad you made it out okay. Sometimes I reconsider upgrading from my GS when I hear stories like yours because I know I'll be more tempted to do a lot of highway riding, and as you aptly pointed out, cagers drive CRAZY on the highway. Especially in the DC metro area...485 and 66 for example.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
The next group of cars in front of me was about 40 yards away. As soon as the last car past the cadallac he gunned it... right in front of me
That's awesome that you could apply your emer. brake technique in a pinch.

I was curious, was the cadillac making a right turn out in front of you, into your lane? Or was he going all the way across, continueing straight ahead? If it was the first one, did you consider swerving instead of braking?

I'm just wondering b/c I usually bet on swerving when a car pulls out in my direction in front of me, and braking if they put their broadside to me.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:14 AM

Excellent job! Things like this are a great reminder to us all to practice emergency techniques as often as you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode