How much do you think this will cost? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Question How much do you think this will cost?

Hey all, been a while since I've been on here. I'm getting the bike bug again. Was so bad yesterday that I went out in 15 degree weather and started her up just to hear her and run her a bit.

Anyway, I need to get the following stuff done this spring, and was wondering if any of you have any idea how much all of this will cost:

1. adjust valves (never had it done before, bike at 13,500 miles. . . I know, I know)
2. replace rear tire (installation only)
3. brakes: front and rear service
4. stainless brake lines (installation only)
5. service shocks (they've never had any service)
6. replace subframe (installation only)
7. regular service (oil, etc.)
8. replace clutch (installation only)

Thanks ahead of time. It's going to be an expensive spring between getting my car and bike running perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:30 AM

Brake service? As in new pads? $40-$60

Installation of brake lines and subframe? You can do that yourself in a couple of hours.
At 13k miles you shouldnt need to have any work done to the shock yet, and valve adjust isnt till 14k miles (about time, but you are not overdue yet).
Tires ussually cost $50 to replace.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt response, Vash.

All service will be done by dealer, as I can't afford the time to do any of this work myself: too busy with work. I was told the valves need to be adjusted every 5-6K miles. . . ??

I'm just looking for a rough overall estimate to get all of this work done. I'm going to do a lot of riding this spring and summer, and need the bike to run better than new. That's why I've listed all of these things.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 06:41 AM

hard to say.. it really depends on the dealer... I dont trust them to be too honest.

the only part of this whole thing I would contemplate letting the dealer do is the valve adjust... well the tire if I didnt have the tools... not only will the dealer rape you on the price they will most likely keep your bike for a couple of weeks.

Everythign you mentioned here minus those two things can be done in one saturday. 4 hrs or so if you got a buddy whos got some mechanical skills and a 12 pack of beer. Hell if I was closer I'd come help ya out.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Dude, I'd buy a 2 cases to get someone to help me with this. Thanks for the offer. Guess with that much beer not a whole lot of work would get done.

Had a buddy I used to ride with, but I think he's all wrapped up with his girl. Haven't heard from him in a while.

Guess I'll just go to the dealer and get surprised. I'm expecting this to cost about a grand.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 07:38 AM

Post the estimate.. The most complicated thing you got on there is the valve adjust.. everything else is real simple.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Re: How much do you think this will cost?

1. adjust valves (never had it done before, bike at 13,500 miles. . . I know, I know): $500
2. replace rear tire (installation only): $50
3. brakes: front and rear service: $150
4. stainless brake lines (installation only): $50
5. service shocks (they've never had any service): $150
6. replace subframe (installation only): $100
7. regular service (oil, etc.): $50
8. replace clutch (installation only): $150

Looks like $1,200. Dammit. Wish I could just trade her in.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:07 AM

You need someone with zx9 experience.....

For the right fee you may find someone to do it for ya outside of the dealer....
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:08 AM

FYI at 15K the service book calls for a major.... service.... over 8hrs at a dealer just for the service not counting the other do-dads you want.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Hey Andrew, knew I'd get you to respond. You like the comment about 'I used to have a buddy that I rode with, but he's all wrapped up with his girl'? LOL. . .couldn't resist.

You get the 10 yet? Hey, if you come help me do this stuff, I'll set you up with beer or liquor or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode