How do I fix this? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

How do I fix this?

My windscreen just started buzzing really badly at certain RPMs, usually the ones I cruise around town at so it's really annoying. If I lift up on the windscreen it stops, but I'm not sure how to adjust it. I can't find any loose bolts either.

One other thing, since I've had my bike (new) the front brake has always squealed when rolling to a stop, from about 5 mph or so. I've cleaned off the rotors with a rag, but that didn't work. Should I try brake cleaner, or is that stuff going to do damage to something?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:17 PM

Definately use Brake Cleaner. You might have best of results & I use it pretty constantly with no ill effects.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:19 PM

assuming the windscreen you talking about is for your helmet?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 03:11 AM

Hit it with a trusty BFH!

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:46 AM

brake grease on the back of the pads. THE BACK!

as for the screen, either its a loose bolt somewhere, or just take a piece of foam and jam it in there

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 06:02 AM

Yea my windscreen buzzes too.. if I grab the left side and hold it against the fairing it stops. It happens between 6.5k and 7k.. it's annoying but I'm too lazy to do something about it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

vash - so i've gotta take the brake pads off then? hmm, not so sure about my skills in that department...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 06:32 AM

Its pretty easy.
Park the bike, and take off the calipers. They should be held in by two large allen bolts. You may want to pull the little clips out of the front fender, so you can free the brake lines. Pull the calipers off the wheel (they should slide right off). When you have them off, do not pull on the brake lever.

now in the back of the caliper should be one long skinny bolt that goes right thru both pads. Remove it, and the pads should come out. Take a screw driver and push the pistons back into the calipers as far as they will go. Apply grease to the BACK of the pad, and put them back in. Reassemble in reverse order. After you are done you will have to pump the brake a few times before they start working.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

I'll give it a try if I feel like I'm not going to mess it up.

But why does lubing the back of the pads help w/ the squeal, b/c it seems like it would be where the pad contacts the rotor that causes it to squeal, right?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 07:10 PM

Sometimes all that is necessary is to shoot the brake free up into the bads & calipers, just to get rid or the dust & crap from the road & dust from the pads. Clean off any excessive fluid.

You might give that a first try & if not the answer then follow the advise of Vash. Often that was all we did at the shop & customer was surprised & pleased for some length of time.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-05-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode