Public Safety Campaign - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Public Safety Campaign

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...orcycles02.htm This is being lauched in the U.K. I would hope that a campaign of the same sort could be organized right here at home. I was out on a short run today and some cager nearly fucked my shit up. I have the right of way going straight & she's making a right turn from a full stop on to the road I'm traveling. This "F" ing broard drove right out in front of me as though as wasn't even there. After laying on my horn & revving the shit out of engine I finally got her attention. She then became courteous & decided not to plow into me. My bike is bright yellow,and my gear is full black..with yellow & black helmet. I don't know how she could have not seen me, but it's scary feeling when someone is driving towards you as if they are blind.

Last edited by sixer; 02-01-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 04:00 PM

Re: Public Safety Campaign

Get out there and do wheelies everywhere.. you gotta keep the public scared!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 04:37 PM

The UK has really slacked off on fines for dangerous driving, speeding, driving with out due care & attention, to so many of the Brits be they on foot or bicycle are "J" walkers in the middle of the street or walking against the red light to the bicycle riders being all over the place. THIS is one of the reasons there have been so many killed & injured & also why there have been lack of fines for those so much in the wrong.

To many of the Brits are now from other countries & drive, ride, or walk like they did back in their home towns to many not realizing the laws of the roads.

Remember to in their home towns some never did have a car & bicycles were about the maximum-----not powerful & fast m/cs of these days.

We have some in this little town & the main street is very narrow yet all cages are parked at angle so sometimes cages will scrap each other due to lack of judgment it the distance they are taking up on said narrow road. Another reason the speed limit has been brought down from 30mph to 15mph.

So often one will see someone deciding that they want to park on the other side of the street & so all of main street for some 4 blocks will be held up till said driver jockies forward & backing up to finally get parked even if they are blocking one of the vehicles to their right. Totally illegal, but said person from another country will finally get out of the car & walk away satisfied.

The town does not dare put parking as being parallel to the sidewalk for 75% of the drivers cannot part is said manner. Reason it is angle parking even thouth the MAIN street is really two narrow. You often find a GMC of Ford or whatever truck angle parked (signs are up of NO TRUCK PARKING for such large units though not a normal 1/2 town or smaller Jpn truck) with crew cab & extended box so oncomming cages must help each other as anything passing this massive long truck must go around it on the wrong side of the road. YET behind the main buildings, on the main street, there are good parking places for said larger trucks.

The only time I am on the main street is by error otherwise I park behind said buildings.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-01-2006 at 04:53 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 05:36 PM

As taught in every MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) coarse (you have taken it haven't you?) hold a pencil out at arms length and you'll hide a motorcycle behind it at 100 feet. Ride like you're invisible because that's exactly what you are.

Last edited by MIMrBill; 02-02-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode