1000 CC too much? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

1000 CC too much?

Normally I would say more power the better... I'm not sure in this case. I am looking to get a R1 soon. I have experience ect... So my question is this: if i come out of a turn or take off from a red light ect... how hard/ easy is it to wheelie. I don't want to be wheeling by accident, on purpose is a different story. I am used to being able to twist the trottle all the way when taking off the line (I realise I wont be able to do this). Everyine talks about doing wheelies, I just don't want to do them all the time. Basically I am just curios on just how hard/ easy it is too wheelie by accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 02:08 PM

Just by asking the question - you do not need an R1.

"How hard/easy is it to wheelie by accident?"

Read that back to yourself a few times real slow...

Wow, I'm in total amazment...

-M-
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 02:09 PM

mine comes up at 8k rpm all on its own.
What kind of expirience do you have? I wouldnt recomment any supersport including the 600's as a first bike.

They also flip over from the front brake...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 02:28 PM

You don't want to wheelie by accident? I wheelied my F3 by accident coming out of a corner once.. I don't think you really know what you're asking.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I have experience...3 years riding, that comes to a total of roughly 13,000 miles. I currently own a Virago 750 and want to upgrade. I have ridden my friends R6 a couple of times for short rides. I never really got a chance to really feel the power; for he was on my bike and we took it easy. Like I stated before I am looking to purchase an R1 and was wondering how it rode. On my bike I can accelarate as fast as the bike can and the front wheel comes up a matter of 6" or so. I was wondering what to epect from a R1. To rephrase the question: how cautious do you have to be not to wheelie (when riding next to your mother!)? How much power can you use when coming off the line, 50% or is it closer to 30% or what? How about coming out of a turn that you took at say 30 mph. I am just trying to get a 'feel' for a R1 before I start looking more seriously.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
getting the bike to wheelie is directly proportional to how far you wind the throttle open. If you do a normal start off the line and then wind it to full open you will get a power wheelie. If you pussyfoot around the front end will stay firmly planted. Since most 1 liter superbikes will go 100+ mph in first gear and leave big black streaks on the ground from wheel spin and power wheelie in second gear at 100+ mph I wouldn't recomend any of them as a first bike. My z1000 isn't nearly as fast as an R-1 but it is still more then most beginners can handle. If you've had some experience then get one and take it easy until you become accustomed to the power delivery.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.

Last edited by Fatman; 02-01-2006 at 03:11 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mstrand_68
Just by asking the question - you do not need an R1.

"How hard/easy is it to wheelie by accident?"

Read that back to yourself a few times real slow...

Wow, I'm in total amazment...

-M-
+1
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:30 PM

From experience on the R1, I'd have to advise you to quickly educate that right hand of yours and watch the speed. I am usually at 130 mph just getting onto the freeway at an entrance ramp. The bike does not ever feel like it is going that fast. But it does. You get a little cocky, you can flip it in third gear. Maybe be even higher gears, but I haven't had enough road to get it that fast in a higher gear at high rpm's.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 PM

iam consened that you are even considering a r1 after asking that question , liter bikes wheelie very easily, see if you can take your friends r6 out again and give it some and imagine someting with 400cc more engine and that is the r1. i have never rode a r1 but my honda is its equal just like the zx-10 and if you have never rode 1 i would sugest something like a r6 for awhile before going up to the r1. if you do get the r1 take it very easy till you get use to it then continue taking it easy for a bit longer.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 04:01 PM

You won't get a feel for the bike by asking questions on an internet forum, either. (Partly because you'll get a lot of smartass replies like this one! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode