Finally spent big bucks on new helmet... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Finally spent big bucks on new helmet...

I finally gave in and spent (way) more than I wanted to on a Shoei RF1000. Not that I got a bad deal, but I was lured into the purchase by the frequent times that I've had people tell me expensive helmets protect your head better (plus they're more comfy). The salesman swore on his life that the G-rating (hence protection) on a shoei or arai is a lot better than a cheaper, like $100, helmet.

I scrounged around the internet and found some contradictory info. about expensive being safter, but nothing conclusive. Anyway, I'm just wondering if my impulse was wrong, and I spent all that money just for a more comfortable helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:23 PM

Re: Finally spent big bucks on new helmet...

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
I finally gave in and spent (way) more than I wanted to on a Shoei RF1000. Not that I got a bad deal, but I was lured into the purchase by the frequent times that I've had people tell me expensive helmets protect your head better (plus they're more comfy). The salesman swore on his life that the G-rating (hence protection) on a shoei or arai is a lot better than a cheaper, like $100, helmet.

I scrounged around the internet and found some contradictory info. about expensive being safter, but nothing conclusive. Anyway, I'm just wondering if my impulse was wrong, and I spent all that money just for a more comfortable helmet.

IMHO...the top brand name lids are the way to go..I mean just look at the majority of pro racers..you see, Shoie, arai, suomy, okg, and if you happen to see some hjc's ect, it's that makers top of the line, and was prolly Custom made for that racer...

One of THE most important things is the Fit, a properly fit lid will protect you better in the bad crashes, especailly if the liners are top notch, which helps alot. In my case, there's only 3 helmets I'd buy, Arai, Shoie and Soumy, mainly cuzz they are the best fitting..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:39 PM

not only is it more comfy but it also has a better fit and finish than the cheaper ones. What helmet were you using before?

Last edited by Chino_Mike; 01-29-2006 at 08:41 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

hjc cl-14

this one fits way better, but it's also a size smaller...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 09:40 PM

Yup, I can endorse Suomy as well, when I dragged my head on the concrete, I had no clue until I got home and saw the damage. It's a good fit for me, or round heads, but wouldn't think it's too good for oval or peanut heads. It's DOT and BSI endorsed, not SNELL. And racers always get into argument about which rating is better. Personally, I think it's awesome, my helmet - top of the line Spec 1R was one of the lightest last year, I never feel wearing the helmet.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 11:11 PM

Great Buy! I just bought that same model in flat black. After trying on a few brands and styles. That helmet fit me the best. Some fit well around my head, but weren't snug enough around the chin. For me, the RF1000 was just right.

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:12 AM
Strength and Honor

I've wondered this too. But I'm also unwilling to test it with my own noggin. The crash I had resulted in a sizeable chip of my helmet missing, which was enough for me to believe it was worth every penny.

I'll be back in the market for a Shoei when I get a new ride.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 04:03 PM

don't know about safer per se, but if its comfortable you're more likely to wear it and will be paying attention more to riding than your hurting head.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 06:52 PM

Motorcyclist did a very good story on helmets and found that the ones with softer liners (i.e. dot only) did a better job of stopping the energy of impacts from reaching the head than the harder (i.e. snell) liners. The helmet that did the best in the testing was also the least expensive in the test. The testing was all done using the same methods that the DOT uses and was all very scientific. The conclusion was that in all but the most severe collisions, meaning headon impact at 180+ mph, a DOT only helmet will offer better protection and less chance of any brain trauma. I do agree that the fit and finish of the more expensive helmets is far better than the cheap ones but at the cost of a little protection.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 07:57 PM

I think that prolly the best way to find out which lids work, is to read, and or ask roadracers that have had their head bounce off the tarmac at 100+mph..and see what they say...

Test's are all fine and dandy, but the realworld crashing is possibly a tad different..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode