Buell's new XBRR to Debut at Daytona!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Buell's new XBRR to Debut at Daytona!!!

.................................................. ................................................

On the Buell website:

BUELL INTRODUCES XBRR PRODUCTION RACING MOTORCYCLE

Race-use-only bike brings Buell full circle

EAST TROY, Wis. -- (Monday, January 23, 2006) Erik Buell and company come full circle with the introduction of the 2007 Buell XBRR, a limited-edition production racing motorcycle designed exclusively for closed course competition. A spiritual successor to Buell’s first motorcycle, the 1983 RW750, the XBRR is poised to change the face of privateer racing with a professional-level, race-ready, production-based platform featuring top-shelf racing technology and typical Buell innovation.

“The XBRR combines the current culmination of Buell’s leading edge chassis technology and Harley-Davidson’s air-cooled V-Twin powertrain development in a platform designed by and developed for dedicated racers,” said Erik Buell, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer, Buell Motorcycle Company.

For Erik Buell, the XBRR marks a return to his racing roots. As a successful privateer road racer early in his career, Buell eventually built his own race bikes for the AMA's then-premier Formula 1 class. The RW750 was a hand-built race bike, and it became the first official Buell motorcycle. Two were produced before the AMA discontinued the class after 1985. Buell then translated his race-bred design principles into a line of successful street bikes leading up to the current XB platform.

The Buell XBRR features a modified XB Thunderstorm 1339cc (103.6mm bore x 79.4mm stroke) air/oil-cooled V-Twin motor rated at 150-hp (measured at the crankshaft). The engine is fed by a dual-downdraft 62mm throttle-body electronic fuel injection system and a ram-air intake system integrated with a new wind-tunnel developed carbon fiber fairing.

The XBRR is the first production Buell since the 1988-89 RR1200 to feature a full fairing. Its lightweight carbon design integrates ducts for cooling of the engine and oil cooler. The fairing was extensively wind tunnel tested to improve aerodynamics and reduce drag.

The XBRR chassis is the revolutionary XB design with fuel-in-the-frame and oil-in-the-swingarm, modified with a billet axle adjustment system and chain-drive to allow gearing changes for different race tracks. Suspension travel is managed by fully adjustable Ohlins units, with 43mm front forks and a remote-reservoir rear shock.

A new ZTL2 (Zero Torsional Load) eight-piston front caliper grabs a standard XB front rotor providing outstanding braking performance, but with less weight than conventional designs. New XBRR six-spoke magnesium wheels weigh 33 percent less than standard XB wheels.

Instruments include tachometer, indicator lamps for shift, power on and low oil pressure. The XBRR features a unique Buell Racing paint scheme.

Buell XBRR features:

1339cc (81.7 cid) Thunderstorm Powertrain:

4.080 inch (103.6 mm) bore and 3.125 inch (79.4mm) stroke
12.5:1 compression ratio
Dual 62 mm down-draft fuel-injection throttle bodies
WAVE-analyzed header and mass-centralized muffler
150+ peak engine horsepower at 8000 rpm (per SAE J607)
100 ft. lbs. peak engine torque at 6500 rpm (per SAE J607)
Black 6-Spoke Cast Magnesium Racing wheels:

Front: 3.5 inch (88.9mm) x 17 inch (431.8mm) wheel with 120/70R-17 tire
Rear: 5.5 inch (139.7mm) x 17 inch (431.8mm) wheel with 190/55R-17 tire
Buell ZTL2reversed rotor front brake with eight-piston Nissin caliper
Ram Air system integrated with full racing fairing
Carbon fiber bodywork
43mm Ohlins adjustable front suspension with inverted forks
Ohlins fully-adjustable rear suspension with coil-over monoshock with remote reservoir
55-degree lean angle (hard contact)
30.5-inch (775 mm) seat height
21-degree rake and 3.4-inch (86 mm) trail
Cast-aluminum swingarm with billet axle adjustment system

Center position wheelbase 52.8 inches (1341 mm)
Range wheelbase 51.8 – 53.8 inches (1315 mm – 1367 mm)
Buell Racing paint scheme
To accommodate eligibility in a wide variety of racing classes, an engine modification kit will be available to help conform the XBRR to a wide range of class regulations.
Buell will produce 50 XBRR motorcycles with a short initial run in late February and the balance made in April. U.S. MSRP is $30,995.

.................................................. ................................................

Sweet!

I can't wait to see this thing at Daytona!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:56 PM

Yeah but it will be a big flop just like Harleys Road racer was at Daytona some years ago..Duhammel road it that year and it kept breaking down...
I would actually buy a Harley if they made a sportbike to compete with the japanese 750--1000 cc class in stock form that would be reliable... sorry but to me BUELL is just a glorified Harley in japanese bodywork..

Just as harley did with thier sportbike NO STREET VERSION race track only...At $30,000 you should get an extra bike for parts that break..

Last edited by Nailer45; 01-23-2006 at 01:00 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:25 PM

we'll see how it does. So far looks arent its strongpoint.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

LOL. Let the close-minded bashings begin.

At the very least, you should appreciate a US effort. At the most, you should be able to admire the unique thought put into this machine and the considerable efforts Erik's team has gone through simply to get to this point from the tuber days.

As a US citizen and a Buell owner (Yamaha for that matter), I'm wishing Erik great success with his new release this season.

Haters go on hating!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:31 PM

Sure I appritiate a US effort. And I appritiate the uniqness of the whole thing. What I dont appritiate is the HD power plant and tranny.
You want to see a truly unique american effort? Check out the C1 bike. A Dual crank, counter rotating V4. With two clutches, dry sump, a tranny that sits where the oil pan normally would. Some unique front end, rear end, and a carbon fiber frame. I can go on about that bike for hours...

But back to buells. Its nice to see them talk about competing in the field, we'll see how they do. I wish them all the best.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

I LOVE the C1 bike, and want to see more local boys playing for sure.

And I agree that the looks of this thing isn't up to par on today's styling queues. But I'm willing to bet it's very slippery.

You can tell Erik designed the faring. It's very similar to his old 1200RR. That thing was the type of fugly that grew on you simply due to its uniqueness.

Are you coming tonight Vash?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:43 PM

If he wants to race get a Yamaha or Honda... I cheered for Duhammel to win then I came to consider he was riding a Harley.

No its not harley bashing, its the truth as I know many people who would buy a true Harley sportbike if it was able to compete with the japanese bikes..But Harley cant get away from the cruiser image . If Harley designers would quit messing around with 40 yr old technology and or even a whole new engine design and put it in a sportbike frame. Erik Buell had an idea but i can honestly say " the Britten" v twin puts all others to shame..
I hope Erik the best..
well thats another story..

Last edited by Nailer45; 01-23-2006 at 01:46 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:47 PM

Afraid not Dago. Not by choice I assure you. Well more like the conciquence of choices... anyways.
I'll forgive the bike its looks if it can perform.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

We'll see how it does in a few weeks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode