Tucked Frame - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Tucked Frame

What does it mean when a frame is tucked ? What could have caused it - serious wreck, light wreck? Is it dangerous to drive on?

Thanks!
Interested in buying a bike....
I know it's bad to have any damage to the frame but is it possible that this one could be okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 03:56 PM

"Tucked" Isn't exactly a standard technical term.

We often say that we tucked the front when the front tire looses traction in a turn, resulting in a lowside (crash). Its possible that the person is referring to damage from such a crash.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:36 PM

It means the frame is bent and the bike is totalled, but the seller is trying to use fancy words and confuse you.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:56 PM

In all likelyhood...it's the front that's tucked, i.e. the forks and likely the steering head is bent inward toward the frame.

Yes, it can be fixxed..but the frame needs to measured, and possibly the forks need to straightened, or replaced...niether of which are cheap...There are places like www.gmdcomputrack.com that specializes in doing that sort of work.

If your lookin to buy a bike that may have the above condition, you need to pay VERY little for the bike, or find another bike to buy.

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:57 AM

if the frame is straight, but the forks are bent, check on ebay for prices of used but good forks. Depending on what bike its for, they usually go between 100-300 for the forks and maybe another 50-150 for the triple tree.

If your not mechanically inclined, then buy a bike thats not wrecked. I'd also stay away from bikes with bent frames as most new bikes are aluminum and having cracks in that is very serious.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

...I guess I'll stay away.
Would you say $2500 is cheap? 750gsx

Thanks for the help!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:10 AM

you got pics and what year is it? also what you could do is buy a new frame and put everyting in it. But the cost and time to do that is a lot of work. Unless your gettin a new bike wrecked for that cheap, it wouldn't seem worth it. Frames go for atleast 500 bucks, subframes are around 300ish.

Last edited by JBaz; 01-22-2006 at 10:12 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:45 PM

Unless it's a new gen gsxr...meaning from 2000 to current, and most clean titled frames are 800.00 and up to 1700.00

I'd walk away..unless as JBaz said, you wanna put Lots of work into it...

2500.0 wiuld be an o.k. price for a 2004, or a 2005 gsxr 750, If the frame is bent..anything older than that isn't. imho.

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode