Ethical Question Posed... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
Ethical Question Posed...

Your walking down the street. You see a bike tipped. Gas leaking. What do you do?

Everytime I see a tipped bike I am compelled to upright it. With todays wind, I saw several. However, I never have as (1) didn't want owner to come out and think I did it (2) didn't want to cuase any more damage in case something went wrong in the process.

What would you do / think if you came out and saw someone uprighting *your* bike?
I'd grill them at first. But I'd imagine a non-bikers instinct would to run if they had knocked one over, whereas another biker would be more compelled to remedy the problem regrdless if they had caused it or not.

-sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 AM

Key to question is gas leaking!

Gas leaking, I'd definitely pick it up. If not, the damage if any has been done letting it lie isn't going to cause additional damage and at least the dude would know where the new scratch/dent came from. I 'd leave it be in that case.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:39 AM

Probably would leave it be, you never know how people are going to react nowadays.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:44 AM

I'd pick it up and leave a note.
If I saw someone picking up my bike, I'd grill em. But if it doesnt look like they are lying then they arent lying...

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:03 AM

I wouldnt touch it. A lesson learned the hard way... if they catch you trying to help out, the cops always want to question you about the incident, and the owners want to pick a fight. I say fk em if their bike tips. People are too quick to cop an attitude without getting the facts. In this day and age, the only way to avoid problems is to develop an "everyone for themselves" mentality, as much as that sucks.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZX6R1033
In this day and age, the only way to avoid problems is to develop an "everyone for themselves" mentality, as much as that sucks.
That certainly doesn't hold true for everyone. I have met many understanding people in my life, and im just 1/5 or 1/4 of the way through. It is true, however, that there are a lot of pricks who'd love to pick a fight and point fingers. So I guess it all comes down to you taking a gamble. The owner could be a nice guy and greatly appreciate what you did, and you'd possibly make a new riding buddy. On the other hand, the owner could be prick and start a lot of shit. If it were me, i'd probably pick it up. If the owner would start shit, then fuck em . Deal with their shit, but never help em again.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lateott_156
That certainly doesn't hold true for everyone. I have met many understanding people in my life, and im just 1/5 or 1/4 of the way through. It is true, however, that there are a lot of pricks who'd love to pick a fight and point fingers. So I guess it all comes down to you taking a gamble. The owner could be a nice guy and greatly appreciate what you did, and you'd possibly make a new riding buddy. On the other hand, the owner could be prick and start a lot of shit. If it were me, i'd probably pick it up. If the owner would start shit, then fuck em . Deal with their shit, but never help em again.
Exactly, whats the worst they can do? I'm sure once other realize that you ride as well, no one would think you knocked the bike over... Have some faith in the human race.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Exactly, whats the worst they can do? I'm sure once other realize that you ride as well, no one would think you knocked the bike over... Have some faith in the human race.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:28 AM

I'd pick it up. As lateott said, you could make a friend.

If, however, the owner started going off at me too much, I'd dropped the f*cking bike back on the ground and run.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
ya, but do you really want to deal with cops and the sh*t that would come from it if they were pricks?

if it was some sort of store (like a blockbuster or something) id go in and have a manager make an announcement. id wait to meet the guy and then explain to him that i was a rider and tell him that i had found his bike layed down. id offer to help in any way i could.

if it was a house or apartment, and i knew the guy or recognized the bike, id go knock and tell whoever answered the door what happened, and offer to help. if i didnt know the bike or where the guy lived, i doubt id do anything.

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode