PA inspectons - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

PA inspectons

I have a 97 ZX-6R. It's been sitting and I wondered what the typical inspection goes over, more specifically the state of PA. I figured tires, signals, horn, brakes, and chain and sprokets. Is this correct? Am I missing anything or did I include anything not checked. On the tires is it the same as a car-upto Lincoln's head for tread depth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:07 PM

why
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:18 PM

You mean the DMV inspection for renewal of registration?

I don't know about PA, but out here (AZ) they pretty much just make sure the VIN matches the title, and for reasons I don't understand, they seem to care a lot about the numbers on the motor. I've never had a DMV employee come anywhere close to caring about signals or tires or anything else that was actually of importance.

May be a lot different up there, though. Our proximity to Mexico means we have big problems with VIN switching and other such stolen vehicle related crimes.

If you're not talking about the DMV, then nevermind.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

inspections

No, I didn't mean that. I went through that already. Thanks anyway. In PA we have to get our vehicles inspected every year, basically a safety inspection. On cars it basically checks the items I've listed above, I just wonder what the bikes are so I know what I have to do before I take it. Thanks for the help anyway.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:39 PM

Do they make you take it to an authorized bike dealer for the inspection. I don't think your local auto shop would want to inspect a bike, or know what to look for anyway. I had to get an inspection sticker for a car a few years ago with a custom suspension, and they made me take it to a specialty shop just to slap a sticker on it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

inspections

yes it has to be a bike shop/dealer.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:21 AM

You have it right. The tires are the same rules as cars. It takes them longer to fill out the paperwork than the inspection.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:24 AM

You do not have to take it to a dealer to get it done, there are plenty or car shops that are certified to inspect bikes. Hamlin's in Bridgeville, PA is a good place to go on the South Side of the city. The main things they will look for....tires at least 2/32" brake pads not excessively worn(this is a visual, they do not take the wheels off) turn signals and lights operating properly, horn, and overall visual inspection to make sure nothing is out of whack or loose on the bike. It is not a tough inspection to pass, main concerns are the tires and brakes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

inspections

thanx a lot real big help.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:43 PM

The bike inspections in NJ are surprisingly easy and quick.. I went to a DMV and was out in less then 5 min. I was laughing at the long line of cagers all the way back out. Actually one of the guys who looked at my bike told me all I need to do was wheelie to the stop sign and they'd pass me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode