Potential lane splitting ban in Australia - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Potential lane splitting ban in Australia

Quote:
Bikers fight lane splitting ban

Bikers have called on the National Transport Commission (NTC) not to implement a proposed ban on lane splitting by motorcyclists, saying it would increase congestion and accidents.

In lane splitting, a motorcycle rider exploits their limited space requirements to manoeuvre their bike through stationary or slow moving traffic.

The NTC had received 59 submissions so far in regard to the proposed changes to the Australian Road Regulations outlawing the practice.

The Motorcycle Riders Association of Australia (MRAA) said no submission to date had been in favour.

The MRAA's John Karmouche said there was no evidence that this practice was unsafe, based on available research and statistics.

"Some of the anti-lane filtering approach by regulators appears to stem from an attitude that motorcyclists should wait their turn and be treated like other traffic," Mr Karmouche said.

"Numerous overseas jurisdictions have either explicitly moved to legalise lane splitting or are in the process of doing so.

"Among the jurisdictions are the UK and the Netherlands which have produced sensible guidelines for the practice.

"California has legalised lane splitting at all legal speeds on freeways and their experience has shown that there are no specific safety issues involved."

Mr Karmouche said The Hurt Report, produced by the University of Southern California Traffic Safety Centre in 1981, found there was an improved margin of safety for motorcyclists when filtering through traffic.

"The Hurt Report found the ability to filter between lines of traffic effectively prevents motorcyclists being rear ended, which was a major cause of accidents in traffic."

He also cited the Oxford Systematics report produced by VicRoads, in Victoria, which found "that no examples have yet been located where such filtering has yet been the cause of an accident."

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:15 AM

Wow, that sucks. What are the odds of the proposition actually going through? I'd help fight it if I lived where you live.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 12:02 PM

Stop whining, it's illegal in most states but everyone does it anyway.

Not that you're whining, so don't get your panties in a bunch.. I'm just saying that it's not like you can't do it even if it is "banned."

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Even though it's not currently illegal, apparently you can be booked for "passing on the left" (opposite side to you, remember). You're only allowed to overtake on the left if there is a separate lane with a painted dividing line.

Funny, I always thought it was illegal already.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Unas_the_Slayer
it's illegal in most states but everyone does it anyway.
People do lots of things that are illegal. That's not the issue. If it's illegal, it's one more thing that you can get busted for. One more pain in the ass we have to deal with. The government is just wedging their hand of power further up everyone's asses.

Quote:
Originally posted by Unas_the_Slayer
Stop whining ... Not that you're whining
Kinda contradicting yourself, huh?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 02:41 PM

I wish the rest of the states would look at it a little more. Lane spliting would be good thing. IMO. I hate the fact that we can't lane split out here.

I think it was somebody on here that had said on a hot summer day or even a cold winter day. Sitting in traffic sucks, all these cars have there music., heaters and ac. and what not. Its a PITA to ride a bike in traffice espicaly stop and go...

people in cars should be glad we are on bikes. We are one less person they have to worry about being in front of them.

Most sport bikes if ridden sensiably. Get good MPG's. Better then most eco cars also. I know my bike beats my G/F car by at least 10 and thats her on the highway and me in the city. She has a saturn wich will get about 35MPG's on the highway.

I'm not trying to convice everyone that they need to ride. But People need to realize the benfit of us riding, and let us do it cuase we love it.

Some people will try to close off your lane when spliting. If they don't like the fact that we can do it. Then I guess they need to get there ass on the bike. so they can fill there ego.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 04:57 PM

50/50

I think it might be okay if the speed is below maybe 10mph, but anything above that, lane-splitting should be illegal.
I'm sure that splitting lanes at 80mphs scares the crap out of people drivin cars. You never know how they'll react when they someone passes them so close.

I think California is set-up this way...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:08 PM

I don't see the big deal. I don't know if it's legal where I live or not, but I know quite a few people (of course not me) who do it anyway.

I've never known whether the term "lane splitting" was meant for stopped traffic or moving traffic, but I have talked to a lot of guys (again, never myself, because I always obey traffic laws) who ride between cars no matter the speed. Stopped or at 65, one way or the other bikes are faster than cars, and about 1/4 as wide. A human with natural intuition will use that to their advantage.

Of course, always obey traffic regulations and remember that making your state and your nanny happy are what makes this wonderful world go 'round. Never violate any traffic laws, because god will cry.

Last edited by sidewaysducati; 01-13-2006 at 06:10 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I don't advocate lane splitting at speed.

Stopped traffic, or traffic that is travelling below 15mph should be fair game, so long as the splitter is only moving up to 5mph faster.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:33 PM

... but lanesplitting at high speed is so much more fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode