How do YOU clean your bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

How do YOU clean your bike?

I still can't decide what the best way to clean my bike is.

I've tried washing it like a car with a hose/sponge/soap. This works well, but it gets water everywhere (obviously). I think this could possibly cause rust over time (?). Also, it seems like overkill sometimes.

I've also used a sponge soaked with soap to handwash the bike, then rinsed the sponge and used it to rinse/wipe the soap residue from the bike. Sort of like washing but without the hose. This seems to get a lot less water everywhere - less potential for rust (is this even a concern?). A possible downside to this method might be that the dirt isn't rinsed as well as with a hose - you're using a sponge to rinse. I dont' know. Whatever.

Let me hear your technique.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:59 PM

Carwash? Wear long sleeves, those brushs hurt!

-M-
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:22 PM

When the bike is cold, i start the bike hose the bike down gently.. Being very careful to not get water around the axels or wheel bearings.. then shut it off.. do the sponge and bucket thing.. working top to bottom.. start it back up and hose it down gently, be very careful not to get water into the ram air ducts either..

shut it back off and dry it with a shamee.. then i start it back up to let the rest of the water disapate off the headers and such.. let it run to normal temperature then let it air dry the rest..

i then ride the bike to warm the chain.. lube it, put a good coat of spray and wax on it and its ready to ride again..

i use hond brite when i dont wash it to get the bugs off if i choose, also to clean the wheels of all the grease.. Honda brite works like a charm..

im not big into cleaning my bike, normally just into riding it..

guess call me lazy but only normally clean it when its really really bad weather..

couple times a year is enough for me!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
couple times a year is enough for me!
If you don't ride in the rain, it's easy to get away without cleaning much.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Hi ESanders2-

There is a whole section on this Sportbike World forum dedicated to motorcycle cleaning and detailing. Click the link for lots of info.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 12:21 PM

Agree with you sanders that if you do not end up with a long ride home in the rain, then all you need most of the time is cleaning off the mashed up bugs & in my case it is use of Pledge or Plexus.

If you recall, from before, I said each time I come home I go over the bike for mashed bugs, for I am a hwy rider of 4 to 6 hrs or more on each run, & usually you get at some spots that might show bits of dirt or whatever. Means less washings & about the most I will do is three a season.

Definately I tend to look at the rear portion of the bike, regarding the r/wheel/sprocket/chain & that is where I will use water, Simple Green & wather again.

When using a garden hose I have an ON/OFF trigger control on it with variation of how the water comes out the nozzle which gives one better control. Actually in '03 it was compulsory that ALL garden hoses had to have these, due to a waste in water---our lack of water supply in fact that year by July you could not wash a vehicle in your yard, nor water lawns, shrubs or you name it & most you could do is use the above in your VEGITABLE garden & only every odd number day of your address--a true shortage of water.

Last edited by Smitty; 01-10-2006 at 04:21 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 AM

I wash mine just like my car...

Hose the loose dirt off. Wash it with soapy water and a sponge. Hose the soap off. Dry it.

A couple of times a year, I'll put all the fairing off and give it a major clean and polish.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode