Can a kick stand "fold"? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Can a kick stand "fold"?

I found this bike on ebay, the owner claims the kick stand "just folded" which caused the bike to fall over? I'm not looking to buy, but this is the first time i've heard of something like this...

Can this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

The other thing that came up, is how effective are "bar end" sliders. I couldn't find regular frame sliders for my bike, only the bar end ones. Are these actually useful?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

One reason the folding kick-stand interested me is because I've been using a car jack to lift up my back wheel to grease/clean the chain. The car jack works ok but puts a little more weight on the kick stand than normal (because it raises the rear end at an angle while the bike is on its stand). I didn't think this was an issue, but could this possibly cause damage to the kickstand, maybe even causing it to "fold"??

I dont' think the car jack distributes all that much weight to the kick stand, but it is lifting at an angle, which must be putting a little extra weight on it, I would think.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:24 PM

Uh.. any particular reason you don't get a rear stand??
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM

I've been using a car jack to lift my bike up too.

I've just made sure to bungee the front brake lever so the bike can not move forward when lifted.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Uh.. any particular reason you don't get a rear stand??
Don't wanna spend the 50 bucks. Unless I could find one for a descent price...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
Don't wanna spend the 50 bucks. Unless I could find one for a descent price...
I'd suggest spending $100 and getting the Handy front and rear stands. No more worries about your bike falling and when you need new tires you'll need the stands anyway unless you plan on spending extra money to have a dealer take the tires off your bike.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:46 PM

Hi All-

It might be a penalty of a few pounds, but I love the Honda centerstand on my CBR. It makes chain and rear tire maintenance a breeze and lets me really top-off the tank when I'm purchasing fuel.

As far as "folding" kickstands are concerned. I don't sit on my bike when the kickstand is down because that seems like unnecessary and needless strain as far as I'm concerned.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 PM

I've never heard of kickstands folding. I don't think sitting on the bike while the kickstand is down does anything either, I've practically fallen asleep while laying on my bike with my feet over the handlebars and my kickstand has held up just fine.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 09:18 PM

I always worry about parking my bike on the incline surfaces. I suppose if this guy happened to park with the bike leaning forward, or perhaps forgot to put it in gear, it could have rolled over the kickstand. I would ask for more details, for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode