pupose of riding boots - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

pupose of riding boots

Is the purpose of a riding boot to provide abrasion protection for foot and ankle, or is it more for rigidity and ankle support (protection against breaks and sprains)? Just wanted to ask because a lot of the boots (like Alpinestars Roam) don't really seem to have any more ankle rididity than a normal work boot. So why can't I just wear work boots? I can see the advantage of a stiff boot with buckles though for the ankle protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 AM

Both really. And like I have said before I think a good pair of work boots is fine as long as it is high enough to protect your ankle.

Touring and street boots for motorcycles are going to offer about the same protection as work boots. Race boots though will have much more protection then any non-motorcycle boot you can get. They offer extra armor for your foot, ankle and shin.

If you want the best protection you can buy, go for a high quality race boot from someone like Sidi. If you are just looking for a good street boot, I believe it is just fine to substitue a good quality work boot.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 10:41 AM

I'd go with ankle support. Just about any shoe is going to provide abrasion resistance. Besides, roadrash sucks, but it heals. Structural damage is much worse.

I crashed in a pair of GBX boots (or whatever they are called. Lots of leather and buckles. Very hardcore looking) and let me tell you they dont protect well.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 11:16 AM

I currently use my work boots. They're calf-length and super-tough, but there's no way they'll stop my ankle from being shattered into a million pieces in a fall.

I'm buying boots when I come to the States.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 01:20 PM

Where's that vid of the guy who was trying to stunt in sneakers, and then fucked up and it looked like his foot was only connected to his leg by a few strands of flesh?

Anyway, I always ride in my Astar racing boots. I value my feet and the ability to walk quite highly so it was worth the extra $$.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Where's that vid of the guy who was trying to stunt in sneakers, and then fucked up and it looked like his foot was only connected to his leg by a few strands of flesh?
Yeah, I've seen that one, pretty bad. I've just looked at a bunch of the street boots out there and there's no way they are going to keep your ankle from twisting, not any more than a work or military boot. I haven't tried on any racing boots though, too pricey for now. I hopefully will get some before too long. What is concerning is that, if you ankle is put under stress, and cannot twist or bend (as in a race boot), then it seems like all that force would be applied to you knee, and could damage your knee instead of you ankle, kind of a lose-lose situation.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:39 PM

Hi ESanders2-

You might be "reading into" the protectiveness quotient too much. Riding with sturdy, thick-soled, heavy boots that are 10" in height (or preferably greater...) are far more protective than shoes, sneakers, ankle boots, or flip-flops. I wouldn't worry too much about how a boot will or will not transfer energy from the ankle to the knee. The simple fact-of-the-matter is that the heaviest, most-protective gear you can put on your feet will make you happiest in the unfortunate event of a tumble.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 04:45 AM

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 12:04 PM

Personally I have woren basically work boots or mountaineer boots to those with high tops I had made over in Italy. Though I also had some competition boots, I have settled down to what most would call "work boots" or closer to hunting boots. Dial up www.danner.com search up 'Fort Lewis' boot which is a 10" high top sometimes used by the military or "Duty Boots".

True if I was younger & strong at Track Days or competition I would probably pick up boots for said forms of riding. All I do now is ride the mountain roads of these Canadain Rockies mountains of where so many others with their HD/Cruisers to regular riding position bikes tend to lean toward pull on boots like copies of the Engineers boot or Wellingtons to many with working boots.

True I ride much faster then the above riders only that means they travel at the speed limit to a hair slower to even a bit faster though my pace & with sportbikes stand out from the above riders due to the types of bikes I ride & probably the radar detectors in the RCMP cages.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:07 AM

I just bought a pair of these for casual Friday's on the bike and bar hopping around town:
http://www.dainese.com/eng/articolo....ticolo=1775073

The sole is stiff enough to work well on pegs, yet not so stiff they make you walk like Frankenstein.

There's also some plastic within the leather covering the ankle bone on both sides.

I wouldn't wear them to the track, but they're fantastic for around town.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode