stupid clutch lever - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy stupid clutch lever

so I'm riding home on I-5 last night and as I ready myself to go 710 northbound, i drop down a gear and my clutch lever suddenly has too much slack. First thing I thought was that it doesn't work, but managed to shift gears as long as i pulled it all the way in. My next thought was that the screw that held the clutch cable came loose so that's why I'm having so much slack and crappy response. finally made it back home w/ no other incident, put her in the garage where I had some light to check out the problem: the screw that held the clutch lever to the clip-on must have come off while I was riding

has this, or any other similar incident, occured to anyone else? I feel pretty sheepish and retarded thinking about it, but hey, at least the lever didn't fly off along w/ that bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 11:47 PM

Damn.. you're lucky.

I usually go around and check various screws and bolts whenever I'm doing maintenance to some part of my bike, and so far I haven't had anything like that happen.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:27 AM

Yeah. I had the screw come out of the brake lever. Since there is no cable it just fell off. Imagine my suprise when I reach for the lever and there isnt one...

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
That has never happened to me. I had a similar instance with my gear shift lever. The carraige bolt that holds the lever to the linkage rattled out...went to down shift and nothing. I had to clutch it to a roll then stop at a gas station. Rode first geart the rest of the way home.

Nah, don't worry about it happening. Shit like that does. Unas is right though, go around and tighten everything while giving it a once over inspection. I have gone as far as adding blue loctite to bolts that are likely to come off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:37 AM

Does blue locktite work better than red under some loads? I used to add red locktite to fairing bolts, and they still rattled out. Should I try blue?

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Does blue locktite work better than red under some loads? I used to add red locktite to fairing bolts, and they still rattled out. Should I try blue?
I have always used blue and it works fine for me. I think red is more permanent then blue. I'm surprised that red rattled out, that shit is gummy when you try to unscrew a bolt with it on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:15 AM

red loctite is stronger. They make hundreds of different kinds depending on the application. Make sure the threads are covered and that they are allowed to dry completely. Also, if this is a high heat area, typical red(271) and blue(242) will melt. Loctite isn't a super glue, it just dries in between the valleys of the nut and bolt causing a wedge between th two. If that makes sense.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 AM

wedge? can you go over that in more detail?

Also what do you mean allowed to dry completely? Prior to assembly?

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:37 AM

Wedge - When the loctite dries it causes a wedge in the valleys between the nut and the bolt. So when the nut tries to back out through vibration it can't. Like chaulking a car tire before you jack it up. The tire doesn't move because of the chaulk.

Dry completely - after assembly, apply proper torque and then wait at least 30 minutes, sometimes longer depending on the type of Loctite. You Have to let it dry before load is applied to it.

Let me know if this make sense. It's easier to say in person.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:43 AM

Still lost on the wedge concept. Never chalked a car tyre either...

I was under the impression that locktite was essentially glue. It forms a layer in between the nut and the bolt (not on the loading surfaces, but around) that has very hight surface area, so the friction is holding the pieces in place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode