Good idea...or not? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Good idea...or not?

So I was watching videos last night from uponone.com. Their was one from a news show. It was about sport bikes...surprise surprise. Anyway, it had the same old thing where large groups of bikers would meet up and race and or stunt. Long story short this got me thinking. What if I opened up a place for bikers to hand out at. It could be a large parking lot with like a $3 admission fee. This fee would pay for security, possible EMT personel, a DJ, and to make me rich. I could have a spot for stunting and a place for the crowd to watch, with a small cement wall for some protection for the crowd. I would also put in a track for drag racing, and possibly a race track around the perimiter for people who rather that. Of course everyone entering would have to sign a waiver before entering, as not to sue me. I could also sell soda and water...but no alchol...bikes and that don't mix!

Anyway, i don't even know if this would be legal since it would be like a track and stuff. Their are probably permits and stuff that i would need. But I like the idea, it would give people a place and show off their skills, other than in the street. It could be open like wednsday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Also, people could meet here then go on organized rides, such as poker runs like the HD guys do...but in a different variation for we don't want to copy them...lol

Let me know if you guys think this is a good idea or not. I don't know of people would be interested or not do to that it wouldn't be on the street. Let me get your opinion and let me know if their is something already out their like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:43 PM

I've thought about the same thing. Problem is, with $3 admittion, you arent likely to make any money. How many stunters are really going to show up? 100 is a very optimistic measure, and even then you made $300/day maybe $500 with drinks. Thats not enough to cover the overhead. If you charge the "observers" $10 you might be on to something, but you got to have something for them to see.
To make matters worse, those waivers arent really worth the papers they are written on in the hands of a good lawyer. Especially if the injured party is an observer.

I'd like to see something like that, but I cant see how one would make money in it.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:47 PM

think we've all been thinking about something like that for years.. But the problem is the damn legal issues of it. and yeah, how could you make any $$$$$. If it was run by a local club that wasn't really interested in the money then it wouldn't matter... But as a private interest it's kind of hard to get off the ground. ALl you really need though is a big fenced in parking lot and some tire walls... You could even try to work it out with a local store own who has a big lot (lowe's or HD or somethen)... I'd love to see it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:19 AM

Your liability insurance would be insane. Your best bet if you were serious is to get in touch with all your local clubs and visit local hangouts and run the idea by them.

Part of the appeal of stuntin and MCs are the rebel aspect to it and by giving them a legal place to do their thing you are taking some of the appeal away.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:31 PM

try looking at local drag strips and see if they are interested in it. Sometimes, the local drag strips in my area have something like that for sports bikes only. I see why not for stunt riders either. But it would only make sense if it was in an area with lots of sports bike and crazy stunters.

Personally, around Raleigh, we go to a nearby empty parking lot after business hours owned by a company. But since its cold out, we haven't really stunted in a while. I know the fella's in wilmington go to the sam's/walmart parking lot after hours. I think they have a deal with the store owner though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode