how to get a motorcycle career?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

how to get a motorcycle career??

I was wondering what the best route to go is for getting a career in motorcycles. I am hoping to get in the R&D field of motorcycles. As of right now I am enrolled to begin becoming a mechanical engineer this fall (which i thought was a logical step). Is there anyone here who designs/tests cars or motorcycles? I am looking for advice on what to do in order to set myself up for a career.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:32 PM

If you find out, be sure to let me know.
From what little research I've done, most of the design work is done in japan, it is not a country that believes in affirmative action. So take japanese as your second language.

There is a number of research companies in the states that do work on some of the components. The one that interested me most was SWRI (south west research institute) as they are located in the same state, and handle plenty of other interesting thing (space shuttles and the like)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 06:23 PM

vash, what career field are you in right now?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:15 AM

I am in the oil field and we do a fair amount of work with Southwest Research. They test just about everything you can imagine there.

To the OP, you are on the right track with an ME degree. Continue on the path for now. Believe me you still have plenty of time to decide on how to go after you get started on your degree.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:06 AM

Re: how to get a motorcycle career??

Quote:
Originally posted by Munch1324
I was wondering what the best route to go is for getting a career in motorcycles. I am hoping to get in the R&D field of motorcycles. As of right now I am enrolled to begin becoming a mechanical engineer this fall (which i thought was a logical step). Is there anyone here who designs/tests cars or motorcycles? I am looking for advice on what to do in order to set myself up for a career.
Here's my $.02

I would contact the MIC - Motorcycle Industry Council - and get input from them. Then I would go to every major (or minor) manufacturers website and contact their HR department and express to them what you're looking for......then get a part or full time job at a dealership and work your way into the organization. There is also the possibility where companies are looking for interns, some even work out a tuition program.

Good Luck.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
vash, what career field are you in right now?
I'm an Mech. Eng. working with radiation detectors.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 07:49 PM

Fuck that dealership crap. Been there done that. Don't. If you must.... be a wrench, you'll learn more than being a sales or parts wanker. However you'll be an indentured servant with Snap-On.

Get your degree. Been there done that too. Get another one (MS).

Do FSAE as well, and get some racing experience. DO NOT jepordize your BSME completion for any reason.

After you're an IROC (Idiot Right Out of College) engineer you'll need some experience. Get a real job (with bennys) and pursue your hobby until you get good enough to find a cool job for $$$.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:30 AM

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 05:07 AM

Here is something that might be helpfull. They require expirience, but being a new company, well you just got to dazzle people the right way.
Oh there is a certain fiasco I hate right now...

http://www.motoczysz.com/main_dev.php?area=employment

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. i had checked the motorcycle career site before and no R&D type stuff (or anything requiring a specialized degree) was up. Just as a matter of opion, which looks better, in general, on a resume: a tech school or a higher overal ranked school. Im choosing at the moment between a master degree program at Columbia (higher ranked overall) and Georgia Tech (top 3 of engineering schools).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode