What's the best gear to wear? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

What's the best gear to wear?

What's the best safety gear I could possibly wear? Like what brand? To be honest I'm looking for a leather pants and jacket set up that's two peice and has reinforced kevlar on back, knees, elbows, etc. I can't seem to find any, I find these bionic looking extremely uncomfortable looking suits I can get and I suppose I would wear a leather jacket over it but it just looks and must feel awful and be a pain in the ass to get off and on.

All I want to do is slip it on and slip it off, even if the price is hefty. If no such thing exists I'll just be uncomfy

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 04:31 AM

For leathers to work properly they have to be snug. But they break in after a bit and become fairly comfortable. Some people enjoy the feel, some dont. Theres no such thing as easy fit for leathers, if they come on and off too easy they wont do what they are suppose to in a get off.

As far as high quality brands for leather check Vanson, Dainese and Spidi to name a few off the top of my head.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 05:12 AM

IMO wear what is comfortable. If your not comfortable your more likely to have an accident. The new textiles are abrasion reisistent and will work like there supposed to. Leather may be better but the important thing is to have something.

You also dont want clothing that is going ot restrict your movement. Go find some local bike shops that wil let you try a few things on. If you go leather, as long as the hide is the right thickness and the seems are well reinforced go for it.

Take my opinon with only a few grains of salt. I had one set of leathers and found them too uncomfortable to wear and keep full concentration on the rode. I keep them only for track now. Daily I wear a joe rocket textile jacket. So i have only really known two sets of wear.

I''m sure someone on here who has gone through several sets of both will soon reply

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 07:39 AM

I have an Alpinestar jacket and it's great.. it's a tiny bit loose but the next size down was way too tight even if it did stretch out when it broke in. My pants are MotoGP and they're leather and really comfortable.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:31 AM

Alpinestar seems to be "it" these days. I have been thrilled with the gear I got (pants, jacket and gloves). Amazing quality for the money, you can't go wrong with it.

Look at the "bat" leather pants (I have them, they rule!) and one of the jackets that you can attach to the pants (the "stunt" jackets, for example). Very comfortable, looks great and provides great protection.

Add some SIDI boots, a Shoei or Arai lid, a Bosh or Alpinestar back protector and you are in serious business.

A=
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Well see, I want to get this

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi...ef8+1135204743

What kind of leather jacket would I wear over this?

There's so many choices, there's jackets that come with some protection, some with none, I want this bionic protection for my bones with some cow keeping my skin safe.

There's also these

I don't know what pants would be best with these either.

The jackets I do like say "back protection, reinforced", etc, but they look nothing inc omparison to the bionic protection and on top I don't know if those jackets will fit over the bionic and still be comfortable.

Argh!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:28 AM

Check out First Gear

I love First Gear. Check out the Speed Jacket, and the Pilot Pants. Last time I check First Gear was offering a dicount when you buy both at the same time
www.Firstgearusa.com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aibo
Well see, I want to get this

What kind of leather jacket would I wear over this?

There's so many choices, there's jackets that come with some protection, some with none, I want this bionic protection for my bones with some cow keeping my skin safe.

There's also these

I don't know what pants would be best with these either.

The jackets I do like say "back protection, reinforced", etc, but they look nothing inc omparison to the bionic protection and on top I don't know if those jackets will fit over the bionic and still be comfortable.

Argh!
That's all dirt gear. You wear that kind of armor because in dirt-riding the emphasis is on protection from impact (no need for much protection from abrasion with dirt).

If you want to ride a sportbike get quality sportbike gear, itís designed that way for a reason. A good jacket or a suit (including the awesome Aerostich suits) with certified armor, a quality back protector and you are good to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode