Close call - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Close call

I always learn from peoples accidents and near-misses on here so i fiqured I would post mine from yesterday.

I was commuting home from work, about a 15 min drive through some fairly congested roads. I was crusing along on a 40 mph strip about 50 yards from the traffic signal doing about 5 over. Well the light hit yellow and i decided to step it up to make sure i would make it through. As i hit the intersection a cage trying to make a left turn decides he wants to make the light too. So he goes about half way into my lane. And all i can picture is a video that i have seen on this forum of a guy hitting a car and doing a flip and then cars just passing by. I hit the brakes hard and then try to flick it right to miss, i was still on the front brake to hard and the bike did something funky wobbling and i put my feet down trying to steady the stead still doing about 20mph i guess. Well i missed the cage by about a foot, good thing he was half paying attention or heard me or something because he stomped the brakes and missed clipping my back tire.

What i did wrong? Well i have been riding 6 years but still need to practice my emergency stops more. I know for a fact i barely layed on the rear brake which could of helped me possible stop before reaching the car. Also i should have let off the front brake before trying to make that quick move. Biggest thing is i shouldnt have made that move of trying to make the light. You best believe i wont be doing that S#!T again.

Hope someone get something from this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 07:18 AM

I wouldn't say you did anything wrong since you missed the car

But one thing they always stress is the MSF courses is not to brake and swerve at the same time. They say to keep those two things seperate. I guess it puts too much strain on the tires.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 07:49 AM

What You Did Wrong

Well,

Since you missed the car, that is all that matters.

However, yes do not brake and turn. Actually, remember this rule..

When in doubt, roll the throttle - though here you may not have had the luxury.

Basically a quick swerve, right and left (assuming you have to get back to the original line).

Else brake hard to avoid straight up, called a panic stop.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:47 AM

Glad you made it through ok.

I agree with what the others are saying, sounds like you did a little bit of the 2 options you had and more often then not that gets you into trouble.

Either brake or swerve, trying to do both makes both much less effective at the very least and at the worst will send you into a high side which it sounds like you barely avoided.

Whichever you do depends on the situation. If you have time to see it coming usually you have enough time to brake. A good swerve is usually needed when the accident is already just about on you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 AM

Glad you made it through and are okay. There are times when I'm approaching an intersection that I go to high beams.....I just get that feeling no one is paying attention.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 11:50 AM

Do not step on the rear brake too hard, you should only barely be using it in emergency stops. As you brake hard with the front, weight is lifted off the rear which makes the rear wheel even easier to lock.. trust me.. I know. I highsided due to a locked rear tire, or rather the regaining of traction when I hit some dirt.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
There are times when I'm approaching an intersection that I go to high beams.....I just get that feeling no one is paying attention.
I always use high beams, I feel more noticed. I don't use em at night though when I'm around other cars.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:32 PM

Now you know about NOT having the bike banked for a turn & the matter of not using the brakes.

Still the one thing I will NOT do is try to beat a red stop light by trying to run through an orange light for here in Cdn they mean you should be stopping & not trying to beat the light. There is the second thing you did when it comes to being wrong.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 03:56 PM

my only crash was when i actually tried to stop for a yellow

i still need to work on being confident braking hard. whatever happens, the fact is that you're still up and didn't crash, and now you've got a lesson learned

thanks for sharing the experience
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 05:30 PM

Nomad - hong long have you been riding for? I think you mentioned it in a post but couldn't find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode