Financing? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Financing?

I want to get a bike, and Ill more than likely put down like 1K
should I get financing through Kawasaki, or directly from the bank, which one is better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 04:52 AM

Kawi finances thru Household retail. They commonly offer 4%-6% (lower for the models that dont sell well) for 3 years. In my expirience thats much better than the terms I ever heard from a bank. But god help you if you dont pay out the loan in time. APR jumps to 18%.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 07:37 AM

Update Financing

By going with Kawasaki what you will really get, if you qualify, is a Kawi Credit Card. You can easily keep switching over you balance to ones with lower interest rates including some with 0% for six months and 4% for the balance.

Make sure you buy on the Kawi Credit Card. That way once you switch you balance over, they will also send you the Title.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 08:34 AM

I financed through Kawi too, and yes they sent me a credit card - it freaked me out at first b/c I wasn't expecting my bike to go on a credit card.

But the interest rate is good - 4.9%. I think it has jumped to 5.9% now, but that's still good. It goes up to 10% after two years, but it's certainly not 18% like Vash said, at least not on my card.

That's a pretty good deal b/c the national average for motorcycle loans is about 7.5% even with excellent credit. And switching to another credit card after a couple years lets you pay down your loan at 0% or 2% or whatever you can find, which is awesome IMO. Plus, like he said, you get the title.

Kawi also lets you make low payments - like $50 a month if you want. Not that low payments are going to save you money on interest, but if you are trying to wait to really start paying off your bike, like I am, it can be an ok thing. I'm basically waiting until a raise kicks in to start making larger payments.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:51 AM

All depends on the deal you get. I got in on I think 4.9% for the first year or 2 then 7.9% for the remainder.

Just make sure you avoid the default rate which is the 18.9 I believe.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

so the credit card deal is betteR?
will they approve a 8 thousand dollar credit card?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:16 PM

8K approval shouldn't be a problem as long as you credit is good, mine was approved up to 15K.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 12:11 PM

Cool

maybe it's just me, but i would recommend getting your financing done through a local bank even if the interest rate is a little higher. The credit cards offer low rates but if you default on the terms your interest rates go up, which means if you make a late payment then you will pay a higher APR. Also I don't think you have a set monthly payment, other than the minium amount due which if that is all you pay it will take forever to pay off. It's to easy to make just the mininum payment every now and then cause your strapped for cash. If your worried about having the title so you don't have to carry full coverage insurance, then just get a personal unsecured loan through your bank.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 12:02 AM

Wouldnt the rate on a personal loan be quite high?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 02:44 AM

i went through kawasaki in august got the 4.99 for 2 years 9.99 afterwards, i was approved for 10k (all i asked for). heres a tip, if you get approved for 10k, and you buy a bike that is only 8k, get all the gear and stuff you want or need at the time you buy the bike,(unless you have cash for that stuff) the first purchase is what gets the low apr for 2 years, so get a helmet, jacket, anything they have and you need at the time you buy the bike, they didn't explain that so when i needed a jacket a week later, i'm now paying the 9.99 on the jacket!

i have a personal loan to consolodate old credit cards and its like 17% which is still better than all my first credit cards. but not as good as kawasaki can give you.

Last edited by Titanium6r; 12-17-2005 at 02:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode