picking a 2nd bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to RyPkr_99
picking a 2nd bike

This last august I bought a 1993 suzuki katana 600. I loved it and riding it was my life. I put 5k on it the 2 months I rode it.

Unfortunately the tranny started going bad and needs a complete overhaul. I was real busy with work and whatnot and let it sit outside for about a month unridden in rain and snow because I didnt have time to take it to a shop. When I finally when out to just give it a start and let it run it won't even start. I have power to accessories but it must have got water in the ignition.

The bike is probably scrap by now. I only paid $1500 for it and repairs probably at least equal that. Not to mention it's probably acquired more problems by me foolishly letting it sit.

Anyhow, I know I love this sport and I know I want to do it for a long time. I certainly wasn't bored with that bike and there was still learning to be had on it. But I was pushing the limits pretty good with it. I feel like if I bought another bike around it's caliber I wouldn't want to keep it all that long.

My pricerange is very max of $4500. Would much rather pay around 3500.

My considerations are:
gsxr 600
gsxr 750
cbr 600
r6

Now I know for the money I want to spend I'm going to have to go back quite a few years. I do not want to go much earlier than 98 though. One thing I know I really want out of my next bike is more rpm's. Mine redlined at somewhere around 12k as I recall. I've ridden my coworkers cbr600rr that goes to 16,5 and its a whole another world.

What are all your thoughts? Am I overshooting for my next bike? Am I undershooting? Any thoughts on what to do with my scrapmetal? Part it? Anywhere that would buy it whole for a few?

Last edited by RyPkr_99; 12-14-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:53 AM

Sucks that happened. I think you've listed some good bikes. Whether it's a Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, you're not going to go wrong, they're all reliable bikes. Really comes down to preference. Go sit on them, read different write ups, ect.

Have you checked craigslist.org for listings in your area? It's a free classifieds board you could put it on. Or ebay, if you don't mind dealing with it.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:07 AM

The only ones I've ridden of that list are the RR and R6. I like the RR much better, but the seat sucks.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
The only ones I've ridden of that list are the RR and R6. I like the RR much better, but the seat sucks.
it sure as hell does. its like a board
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RyPkr_99
it sure as hell does. its like a board
Exactly. But The rest of the bike is great, and I for one would not pick a bike just because of a seat.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 11:28 AM

I have a 2000 R6 for sale. $4400. you will have to drive to KS though.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by psudy
I have a 2000 R6 for sale. $4400. you will have to drive to KS though.
sounds good cause i know you'll knock off 2k when i roll up with my tuna in my truck.

Is yzfr6 the same as an R6? I thought there was a slight variation, or am I confused with another yamaha? Whats the colors, more info, miles, mods, and any pics?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:43 PM

the R6 is a yzfR6. There was also a yzf600R or something like that, which was yami's version of the katana

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:01 PM

its in the classifieds on this site. You can look it up there. I have droped the price to 4400

I don't get the Tuna comment.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
the R6 is a yzfR6. There was also a yzf600R or something like that, which was yami's version of the katana
thats what i was thinking of. thanks.

What is kawi's comparable bike to the r6, cbr600, and gsxr 600?

psudy, i meant if i drove out there with my katana you'd be overtaken by its beauty and knock 2k off the deal in a trade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode