Saw another freakin' accident today - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Saw another freakin' accident today

I was coming home from work after dark around 5:30 pm. There were a couple cars and some flashing lights from a vehicle on the shoulder ahead. This is on an undivided highway, one lane in each direction, speed limit 55 mph. As I approached I saw a silver Yamaha, I think it was an R1, with its front end smashed in - the rest of the bike looked ok, but the front visor/fairing was all screwed up. The bike was lying on the roadside in the dirt. Further ahead, there were remains of some kind of animal. In fact, there was about a twenty foot long patch of blood/guts/nasty stuff smeared all over the road. It looked like the bike had basically cut the animal (my only guess is a large dog) in half, then drug pieces of it forward with it down the road. I didn't see the rider anywhere, only a helmet left behind as he was probably taken by ambulance or helicopter (hopefully not). I wanted to find out if he was ok as he may work on the base with me (I might know him if this is the case), but I'm not sure where/how to find that out.

It just sucks b/c this is the second major sportbike accident here in a week - last sunday i saw a guy killed here in town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 06:49 PM

Hopefully I'll survive long enough to afford a few track days and stay off the street. All these news are getting worse, I had a close call today around cars.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

what happened?

I wouldn't go as far as to stop riding on the street, after all that's what I got my bike for.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

BTW, I called the pol. department - they said the rider wasn't that seriously injured. good news. from the looks of it, it seemed real bad.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 08:06 PM

Well no biggy, since nothing happend, I didn't think much of it afterwards. But I went to local shopping plaza to drop a mail, I forgot mostly elderly drivers come here, proof of that was when I was inside the mailing store, among all the customers waiting in line and cashiers, I was the only one well below 60.

Well anyway, I made a right turn at slow speed to make my way around the lot, and I guess right then someone decided to back up without looking. The car came out right as I was behind it, so all I could do is whack the throttle to get away, fortunately, the person braked in time. I only had the helmet and gloves on, so I could've been looking at from broken bones to being trampled under the car.

The day started well, but this just shows things could turn worse at any moment on a bike, no matter what the speed.

And then afternoon I took my other bike and was a little frisky with the throttle, experiencing the acceleration of v-twin, so I was going about 60 in 45 zone, and the school bus from the opposite side pulled in front of me to make a left turn. There was an accident here while ago where the rider was killed because of school bus driver antics, so I suspected as such and braked before the school bus turned to my lane. I I don't care about the second incident, but the first one was a close call.

My point is, it is difficult to enjoy riding here without worrying about these things, on top of that, we don't have any curves here, may be 2 in 100 miles radius. So the advantage of owning sportbikes go to waste with cruising and droning in traffic.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
BTW, I called the pol. department - they said the rider wasn't that seriously injured. good news. from the looks of it, it seemed real bad.
that is a very good news
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The day started well, but this just shows things could turn worse at any moment on a bike, no matter what the speed.
With the car backing into you, I'd sayit could have been worse as a pedestrian. I've had cars try to run me over before while on foot. Anything can happen around cars, especially in parking lots, so I wouldn't just lay it all on the bike.

I didn't quite get the bus thing. Was the bus turning left from the opposite direction?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 09:36 PM

its seems to get expecially bad when its cold outside. I can't believe how a cold tire makes such a difference and loose a lot of traction. It pretty much takes me 5-10 mins to ride around for the tire to become warm enough to ride hard, but by that time, I'm already where I needed to be. I try taking long ways of where I need to go, but its pretty cold outside so I just opt for the shortest route.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I didn't quite get the bus thing. Was the bus turning left from the opposite direction?
yup
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
With the car backing into you
Hahahah that reminds me of a story. A month or two ago I was at a meet spot for one of the last "big" group rides of the year. We were meeting in a pretty small parking lot, and there was a group of maybe 10 sportbikes in one corner, while cars were coming in and out on the other side. Anyway, there was this minivan parked in one of the spaces. Just as the driver began backing up, three more guys pulled into the parking lot. Of course, the dumbass soccer mom was staring at the sportbikes as she was pulling out (holding a dunkin donuts coffee cup AND talking on the cell phone, I might add) and was completley oblivious of the 3 bikes about to pass right behind her. The lead rider saw her moving, and he whacked his D&D to the rev limiter and held it there for at least 5 full seconds as they coasted by. Holy shit, you have no idea how insanely hilarious the lady's reaction was. She looked like she simultaneously had a heart attack and shit her pants. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen, we were all laughing about it for the rest of the day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode