Popped Tire - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Popped Tire

I have a gsxr 600. got a new perelli for the front about a month ago. got a conti road attack on the rear, had it for under 2000 miles. i was riding today around these onramps that are continuous (kinda like a mini track) and i start to wobble around the second turn. i drive to a gas station for gas, only to find a fucking nail in my back tire. went in one side and came out at an angle toward the rim. its sunday, so the service shop is closed, and the lady in sales wont let me have my bike towed there till tomorrow. so i have to pay 100 to get it towed home, and will have to pay 100 more to tow it to the shop tomorrow, and then 150+ for the tire, and whatever else it costs to mount and balance. at least i didnt slide out around the turn, but can you think of a worse sunday ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:09 PM

Re: Popped Tire

Quote:
Originally posted by WingChunWarrior
...can you think of a worse sunday ride?
That's a damn shame, mate.

It could definitely have been worse. You could've wrecked. Consider yourself both unlucky and lucky at the same time.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
DIDNT GO DOWN

just be glad you didnt go down. now after you replace this tire and you go out again only to get another hole in the new tire within a month. welcome to my luck!!! hopefully better luck on the next tire

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:57 PM

97yzfinwyo,is correct you could have gone down & been injured out of town. Cost of obtaining ambulance plus emergency ward service, to cost of getting your damaged bike home from some distance & then the other costs that might also have to include new plastics & parts. So in a stupid way you were lucky, STILL even what you had was a bummer.

Luckier then you realize for if it was here in Cdn the costs of all would have been so much higher & m/c shops are closed on Monday.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:32 PM

It wasn't a turn, but I was going 70 when it happend on a local hwy. Bike started wobbling left and right. So I pulled over and got on the sidewalk and rode the bike slowly in 1st gear for 2 miles. I guess if you were near your home or familiar place, could've done the same. There's a risk of damaging the rim, since my tire was out of all air.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

yeah, definately glad i didnt slide out and crash. i guess in most situations it always could've been worse
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:22 AM

find a buddy with a truck and roll it up on the truck..

somebody will scratch it when they tow it unless its a dealer..

dont forget to strap it right with a canyon dancer or somethin of that sort..
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 02:02 PM

The same thing happened to me. After having to pay the tow company to take my bike to the shop, I invested in two things. The first item was a shop manual for my bike. Although there are many things in the manual that I truly don't understand and would still have to take my bike to a shop anyway, the manual is very helpful with something like taking off a front or back wheel. Second item was a single bike trailer. The trailer I bought was used. I had to slap on some new wheels, lights & wire harness, but it's good to go now........It was relatively inexpensive...Now my mind is at ease that if need be I myself can transport my bike to track, shop, whatever.......One more thing the trailer is light enough that my car can tow the bike safely, so I didn't have to go out and purchase a heavier vehicle....like a new truck
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 02:21 PM

If you have friends with a truck, hope they like helping you. otherwise, I'd say invest in a cheap old truck in working condition. I'm prolly gonna get an old truck within a few months so I can tow my bike to the mountains (6 hours away) and do some decent twisties.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sixer
The same thing happened to me. After having to pay the tow company to take my bike to the shop, I invested in two things. The first item was a shop manual for my bike. Although there are many things in the manual that I truly don't understand and would still have to take my bike to a shop anyway, the manual is very helpful with something like taking off a front or back wheel. Second item was a single bike trailer. The trailer I bought was used. I had to slap on some new wheels, lights & wire harness, but it's good to go now........It was relatively inexpensive...Now my mind is at ease that if need be I myself can transport my bike to track, shop, whatever.......One more thing the trailer is light enough that my car can tow the bike safely, so I didn't have to go out and purchase a heavier vehicle....like a new truck

+1 on both, they'll pay for themselves the first few times you use them...

If you get tired of those bent-up cotter pins.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode