Death Grip - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Death Grip

Recently, I've been really conscious of the fact that I occasionally take-up a death grip on the bars. Although it doesn't always happen, the two scenarios when I've noticed it are:
  • When I've taken off quick from a set of lights, running hard up through the gears.
  • When I've been pushing hard through some twisties.

Like I said, it doesn't always happen. Sometimes I keep my composure and maintain a relaxed grip, whereas other times it's like I'm trying to choke the bike.

How can I get myself to relax my grip all of the time???

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 02:36 PM

Only time that happens to me is when I know I am about to prang the darn bike & so my last, few seconds, attempt to possibly save the bike & myself--------only it is to late for it does not work.

You sort of know it when you have to miss a cage that was all the way across the road, just ad you came around a tight bend, not able to see beyond that point, so you have gone into the ditch or possibly a farm or orchard to possibly avoid that terrible prang only something is in your way being a power pole & possibly you are on wrong terrain for a street bike like the farmer might have just moved the sprinklers an hours ago. Little things like that & others.

Last edited by Smitty; 12-11-2005 at 02:42 PM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:19 AM

Well just being conscious that you are doing it at times is a nice first step. When you notice it happening wiggle your fingers or flap your elbows a bit.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 05:48 AM

When under hard acceleration looking further up the road will help. The sense of speed isn't as intense.

Works for me...but we're all different.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, good suggestions all.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 02:31 PM

Are you saying that you do the death grip in turns also..?

Here's an age old trick to see that you stay relaxed, and have a soft grip on the barz...do the chicken... Seriously, flap your arms all the way through a med speed turn, you don't have to be pushin it either, just Keep doin it..until it's normal, the soft grip that is...

The LESS input from you, the better your bike will work..

Also, work on BREATHING...alot..it helps..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

What makes it difficult to diagnose is that it's not a constant problem. Sometimes I'm cool, calm and collected, whereas other times I'll notice that I've tensed.

I've done the chicken before. Looked more like a goose, but it certainl highlighted how relaxed I should be.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
What makes it difficult to diagnose is that it's not a constant problem. Sometimes I'm cool, calm and collected, whereas other times I'll notice that I've tensed.

I've done the chicken before. Looked more like a goose, but it certainl highlighted how relaxed I should be.
LOL...another thing I found was really helpful, is when your in a turn..i.e. just after you tip in, take one of your hands just slightly off the bars, or if your not comfy doing that, wiggle your fingers, as it's Im possible to have a tight grip and wriggle them suckers..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4
LOL...another thing I found was really helpful, is when your in a turn..i.e. just after you tip in, take one of your hands just slightly off the bars, or if your not comfy doing that, wiggle your fingers, as it's Im possible to have a tight grip and wriggle them suckers..
Cool. I'll try that one also.

Between the flapping and the wiggling, I'm going to look like I'm having a siezure!

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Cool. I'll try that one also.

Between the flapping and the wiggling, I'm going to look like I'm having a siezure!
Make sure you do the "Duck Clap Point wave" to all passing motorists to complete the insane effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode