License Plate Legality - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

License Plate Legality

Are License plate relocators that place the plate near the rear axle illegal because the plate is sideways? or is it something else? cant find the answer anywhere, please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:46 PM

Its going to be a state to state thing. Here in Cal, They are legal to have,but illegal to hang your plate on them that way. Go figure . Atleast in this state, you cant relocate or modify license plates other than the original manufacture location intended. Not saying that its not done however. Kind of like those "sport" type turnsignals, a no-no. Cant modify,move or alter in any way . Same with those kits that put the plate under the seat. Chances are law inforcement officer wouldnt get ya ,but never know. Charlie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

gee

thats fackin wierd, i was wondering because i found a plate relocator that allows the plate to be right side up, but moved to the axle. guess ill just put it on and see what happens. im in florida and i see the sideways ones on the axle all the time. too many bikes here to pull eveyone you see i guess. thanks for the input

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 02:02 PM

You more than likely be ok,the reason I posted all that I did,4 months ago,I got pulled over,"kind" of speeding...approx 110,but thats another story. I had in my back pak, one of those licence plate brackets that replaces the OEM CBR tail stuff,and a set of aftermarket turn signals. During the ordeal,which took almost an hour and Im in RR leathers...warm!! He asked to see whats in the pak,no biggy...nothing to hide...he explained what I said in my last post. And gave me the vehicle code numbers,etc.. I have since then put them on my bike...and didnt like the cadence that the flashers worked..too fast. Back to stock...ohh btw, he did say" I usually look the other way on license plate holders as long as there is the lamp above the plate" After all this..to ticket!!! Good luck!! Charlie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

ty

yeah, well most people around here dont have the light above theirs if its relocated. im not going to for a while but when i get more money i guess ill get a light for it, but it looks kinda tacky with the wire..idunno ill figure something out. thanks again
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 03:59 PM

your prolly not gonna get a ticket for your relocated tag. But if your stopped for something else, they could throw in the extra charge. I've been given hell by cops already bout my relocated license plate under the seat, but no tickets. As long as its in clear sight by cars behind you, no worries. Adding license plate lights would also add legit relocation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode