Squid Report *video* - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Squid Report *video*

A fine example of the media at work. Immagine a casual everyday cager seeing this on the news and thinking "damn crazy sportbikers!" Next time he's driving down the freeway and sees a sportbiker, he'll automatically assume he's a squid.

http://www.uponone.com/videos.php?id=2917

Oh, and HD riders use this for anti-sportbike propaganda... i found this on an HD forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 06:36 PM

I thought this was gonna be the more recent report that that retarded faggot Geraldo did on the "motorcycle madmen who are making our highways a deathtrap." Where's his report on dumbass reporters who expose troop positions/plans in Iraq?

Anyway, some of that video is pretty sweet.

Wait.. maybe I shouldn't have said that.

Last edited by Unas_the_Slayer; 12-08-2005 at 06:59 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 07:45 PM

Squiddies...at least do stunts on empty streets.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 05:02 AM

Talk about bad reporting. Mention stunting and rising fatalities in the same sentance, and everyone things they are related. No mention of repealing helmet laws, and no statistics as to how many of the fatalities are even sportbikes (when most are in fact cruisers)
Or how about the death of a trooper, which was caused by a blown tire, not the motorcycle.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Talk about bad reporting.
Yeah, remember in that debate you and Dad had in the "Stupid things you've done" thread? You mentioned how fox news twists the truth into their own version. This is a good example of the one-sided media. I'll bet none of the people who worked on that story ride motorcycles.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:26 AM

I dont think I'm supposed to mention that debate, judging by how the thread got deleted. I do want to be understood correctly, in that I said all media organizations twist the truth to suit their perpuses. Its just that FOX twists it in the exact opposite direction of most others. However thats not what happening here.
They are simply stating two facts (people stunt on public roads, and motorcycle fatalities are up) in which an uninformed mind immideatly connects the two.
It would be simular to saying "air bag were introduced in the late 80's" and "road fatalities have gone up since the late 80's" which would cause one to assume that airbags kill people, when its actually caused by the increase in drivers. A sillier example would be to say "over 90% of all serial killers eat bread" therefor bread creates serial killers

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
They are simply stating two facts (people stunt on public roads, and motorcycle fatalities are up) in which an uninformed mind immideatly connects the two.
It would be simular to saying "air bag were introduced in the late 80's" and "road fatalities have gone up since the late 80's" which would cause one to assume that airbags kill people, when its actually caused by the increase in drivers. A sillier example would be to say "over 90% of all serial killers eat bread" therefor bread creates serial killers
That report frustrates me because most americans are so damn ignorant about most things. The media frenzy of today has gotten out of hand. Sure everyone should know more, but given out information in a way that brings it out of context is not good journalism, that and being biased. I bet that reporter hates bikes and just wanted to spread his anger with his report. He failed to mention the increased numbers of motorcycle riders in the past decade. He also doesn't inform the % of motorcycle accidents that were actually caused by other vehicles. He's reporting of what a very small fraction of motorcycle riders do and that is performing stunts.

That being, I do some stunts, but we go to a secluded parking lot or rural strip where no cars go. Most stunters that I know practice off of busy roads or not on public roads.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I dont think I'm supposed to mention that debate, judging by how the thread got deleted. I do want to be understood correctly, in that I said all media organizations twist the truth to suit their perpuses. Its just that FOX twists it in the exact opposite direction of most others. However thats not what happening here.
That is the informal logical fallacy known as Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc, or more commonly, false cause fallacy. These sorts of things are why I don't own a television.

Listen to the narrater's voice in that story. He sounds like he does work doing monster truck rally commercials. While listening to it, I kept expecting him to say "This Sunday! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!!!"

Talk about sensationalism.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 04:09 PM

a good prime example besides that sports bike report.

The iraq war... Soldiers always dying, sure its tragic, but what do people expect from a war? I mean come on. People die, thats what wars do. And in this day of age our soldiers are damn lucky they are part of. Having a full waged war with only some thousands dead? Think of what Vietnam and Korea death toll was compared to today. They sometimes report the number of enemy deaths and its a correlation that they loose like 50 guys for every one of our guys.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 06:04 AM

I'm not defending stunting on public roads, its still wrong in my opinion, especially in traffic. But it has very little impact on motorcycle fatalities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode