Well at least someone got away with it! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Well at least someone got away with it!

Quote:
NEBRASKA CITY, Neb. - Speeding is not necessarily reckless, even at 128 mph, a judge ruled in the case of a motorcyclist who tried to flee from state troopers.

With some reluctance, County Judge John Steinheider ruled last week that Jacob H. Carman, 20, was not guilty of reckless driving on Sept. 5, when he was spotted by a trooper who then chased him at the top speed of his cruiser's odometer 128 mph.

"As much as it pains me to do it, speed and speed alone is not sufficient to establish reckless driving," the judge told Carman on Friday. "If you had had a passenger, there would be no question of conviction. If there had been other cars on the roadway, if you would've went into the wrong lane or anything, I would have convicted you."

Otoe County prosecutor David Partsch acknowledged that Carman could have been charged with speeding but, "We felt that the manner in which he was operating the motorcycle was reckless."

Carman didn't get off entirely. He was fined $300 for expired tags and other violations.
Notice that was the top speed of the police cruiser. I'm guessing actual speeds were more around 150 or so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:41 PM

Quote:
he was spotted by a trooper who then chased him at the top speed of his cruiser's odometer 128 mph.
shouldnt that be speedometer?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

notice "top speed of his cruiser's odometer" ...

beat me to it

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Hah, my reckless ticket was dropped as well. I saw the police report for the stop, and the cop said I was still pulling away fast when his cruiser was maxed out.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:11 PM

I'm printing this one out! Then taking it to court with me next time I get busted!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:48 PM

Re: Well at least someone got away with it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Notice that was the top speed of the police cruiser. I'm guessing actual speeds were more around 150 or so.
No one was killed or hurt. Nice to see biker get cut some slack.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:33 PM

link to website plz
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:00 PM

a sheriff here in florida on I4 crashed and died while chasing a guy on a bike and they just sentenced him to life in prison.

http://pursuitwatch.org/stories/Haywood/OS_10_5.htm

Last edited by thatkindasux; 12-07-2005 at 07:03 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:54 PM

article doesn't say anything about the motorcycle guy being convicted yet. But I bet the guy on the bike was stupid. If your on a bike, it should be easier to evade cops then a car, even if the other car was a 911. And still he managed to get caught and the car didnt. If the bike and car were drag racing, why can't they do it on the track? There has to be a lot more drag tracks in Florida then in NC.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 12:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
there's not an over-abundance of drag tracks in florida, and some...well, i know guys in cars that refuse to race on those. in fact, id be willing to say that theres fewer tracks down here than most other places (no idea about NC), but there are an over-abundance of straight roads...

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode