Throttle sticks - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Throttle sticks

I've been doing gradual repairs on a bike I recently picked up. So far everything has been going great (with the exception of the delays in parts at times) and I have a new concern.

The throttle of my 95 zx-6r seems to stick(when pulled all the way it slowly retracts. I wanted to know how do I go about fixing this? would replacing the throttle handle do it? If so do you think a 99 zx-6r be compatible?

Thanks for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:13 AM

Sounds like you got rusted thottle cables. Lube them with WD-40 and see if it helps.

For maintanance sake, its better to lube cables with something like chain wax, its not as slick, but it lasts much longer. However, if the cable is sticking, WD-40 will do the trick.
If you can, get a cable luber tool. They are pretty cheap (less than $10). Not required, but make the job easier. Disconect one end of the cable, insert into tool, hook up lube and spray untill lube starts coming out the other side. It will likely be abit messy, so dont wear your good shirt.

If at all possible, try disconnecting the cables all together. This will allow you to check that the throttle bodies close smoothly (there is a possibility that the spring is worn, but I doubt it), the handle doesnt bind (I never seen one that does, but it is possible. If it does, its more likely to have some forign crap in it than be defective. Dissasemble and clean) and that the cable can more freely by themselves)

Also if your cable are too tight, they will try to bind. You should have an adjuster on one of the cables. You should have a little bit of play in the throttle. Not much, maybe 5-10 degrees.

One more. Since its a used bike, check that you havent had a faster throttle installed (turns the throttle from 90deg to 60 or 45) those will give greater leverage to the return spring and make the throttle harder to turn.. and well, unless you are a pro, they are pretty useless to you. If you want to keep it, you really need a new spring. Otherwise your hand will seriously hurt after a long trip.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:22 AM

Over the years, the #1 cause of a sticking throttle that I've seen is the handgrip rubbing against the bar weight. To check this, pull the rubber away from the bar end, and spray a little WD on it. If the throttle starts working smoothly, then you know your grips need replacing.

The stuff Vash talked about is a good idea, as it will save you the trouble of ever having to replace your cable.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rundog
Over the years, the #1 cause of a sticking throttle that I've seen is the handgrip rubbing against the bar weight. To check this, pull the rubber away from the bar end, and spray a little WD on it. If the throttle starts working smoothly, then you know your grips need replacing.

The stuff Vash talked about is a good idea, as it will save you the trouble of ever having to replace your cable.
Crap, forgot one. Plus 1 on the bar weight thing.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:44 PM

Re: Throttle sticks

Quote:
Originally posted by Revelation715
The throttle of my 95 zx-6r seems to stick
So what? are you implying that you need to stop accelerating? Ha!! That's for sissies!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode