LOL Newbies can be so dumb - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

LOL Newbies can be so dumb

Despite all of the great advice on these forums about getting your 1st bike,Newbies still love to buy liter bikes.I sold sportbikes for a year in NC. and I always told these rich newbies to start on a smaller cc bike due to there lack of skill,but they cant resist the ZX10r and gixxer 1000.....more often then not the once beautiful sportbikes come back to the shop, not for there first sevice,but in the back of there daddys pickup truck...These newbies dont even wear leathers......I believe as long as there are newbies on 1000cc bikes will all have or see these stories for many years to come...Oh by the way I remember a newbie on a zx10r,he was killed on impact by an 18 wheeler when he got to brave...Please if your new to our sport respect these machines and when You wreck we all wreck.....so this spring when you buy a new bike do your research,it could save your life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM

Not exactly sure about stats, but something like 90% of all fatal bike crashes happen within the first 30 days of buying a new bike.

I think Australia's cc limit for newbees is a pretty good law. At least for people under 18.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 12-01-2005 at 04:10 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mac020
...I think Australia's cc limit for newbees is a pretty good law.
It's a good law, but there's a way around it. At least, in Queensland there is.

If you've had your cage licence for 3+ years, you can undertake a rider training course.

Theoretically, in three days, you can qualify to ride whatever you like. Sure, you've taken a course, but that still won't prepare you for riding "out there".

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mac020
I think Australia's cc limit for newbees is a pretty good law. At least for people under 18.
Here in South Australia we have just changed to a power to weight ratio scheme (LAMS Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) which would have been great if it came out before I got my Ninja 250. The problem with the 250cc law was you could still get an Aprillia RS250 or similar on your learners. Maybe not the best choice for a learner.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 03:37 AM

Hell, I'm 36 and been riding since I was 16. I have not had any bike over 750cc and I'm still nervous getting on those.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 05:54 AM

And now the hp on the 600's are same/more than litre bikes from not too long ago. The new R6 has over 130hp!

And a lot of people think 600's are great starter bikes.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 06:15 AM

I like the advice someone else here gave a while back: It's better for a new rider to ride a smaller bike at its limits than trying to manage a bike that they can't go full throttle on.

Slaps --> And a lot of people think 600's are great starter bikes. Hell, I've seen 750s advertised as starter bikes and a SV 650s advertised as a "great starter or woman's bike." These guys must have balls bigger than Schwarzenegger's.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 06:47 AM

I see alot of posts on here about people buying bikes with too much power. Too each his own. NO ONE needs a liter bike, who here can really push one to its limits?

Its like a gun, its the person behind that controls its destiny. Would I recommend a liter bike to a newbie no, but if you have fear and common sense enough not to twist the throttle to the stop. You should be fine. I think the issue hear is maturity and not the bikes. If you dont rev it out everytime you have the opportunity you will be alot safer, and that all depends on the driver.

I had a friend whose first bike was the ninja 500 and it felt like a bicycle to me. It didnt stop him from trying to do tricks and break his arm and collar bone. Like a car all these things are dangerous and will kill you. Its about the rider.

My
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 07:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
Quote:
Originally posted by drgreenthum
I see alot of posts on here about people buying bikes with too much power. Too each his own. NO ONE needs a liter bike, who here can really push one to its limits?

Its like a gun, its the person behind that controls its destiny. Would I recommend a liter bike to a newbie no, but if you have fear and common sense enough not to twist the throttle to the stop. You should be fine. I think the issue hear is maturity and not the bikes. If you dont rev it out everytime you have the opportunity you will be alot safer, and that all depends on the driver.

I had a friend whose first bike was the ninja 500 and it felt like a bicycle to me. It didnt stop him from trying to do tricks and break his arm and collar bone. Like a car all these things are dangerous and will kill you. Its about the rider.

My
i agree and disagree...
true, it does depend a lot on maturity, but what about the peaky engines. i dont think anyone can just naturally handle the peaky engine of a m/c without having some expirience. these new 600's, if the R6 really does have a 130 hp, have to have such peaky engines that one very small input error by a sensible rider could through him/her off regardless of how "mature" they are. and i really think someone that mature wouldnt want to start on a 600 because they would have done all of the research to realize one should start small.

lots of people knock the looks of the smaller bikes....but hey, to me, its still a bike.

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:55 AM

Agreed. a "mature" but inexpirienced rider might spend a few month on a liter bike, not getting it about 5k, and everything goes well. A while after that he might get a touch braver, and the wheel will spin out on him at 10% throttle because it responds much differently in high and low rpm ranges..

The looks of smaller bikes are a real problem. People want sexy looking bikes, and I can completely understand that. However most smaller bikes are ugly as sin, or look space age in that 80s sort of way. I'm glad suzi is doing something about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode