Now this isn't suppose to happen... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Now this isn't suppose to happen...

Well earlier this morning I went downstairs to start my bike up and head out to work. First problem I ran into was the ignition chamber was frozen so my key wasn't going in at all. No biggy, I just poured warm water into the chamber and worked the key in. Afterward i sprayed the key and the chamber with some wd-40 to get rid of the water( its about 19 degrees f. right now). Next, I close the choke(yzf 600r 05') all the way down to get a rich fuel intake and, after 6-8 trys my bike finally starts. So everything is goin good, bike is warming up, all the cables are free, tires aren't flat. Just as I was finishing inspection I find something that ruined my day just as fast as it was started: There was a HOLE in my muffler. Not on the Can part, but the part RIGHT before it goes into the can. It's a tiny, tiny hole. Almost like if you could take a ball point pen and just barely prick it. .5mm would be my guess. The reason I'm pissed is because a thin high pressure stream of LIQUID gas, not evaporated like the stuff coming out of the end of the can, is spewing out all over the ground. The second I notice the stream, I cut the choke so the engine drops down from 3000rpm to 1200rpm. The stream dies down to a light sprinkle at this rpm, but its still losing gas. When I realize that didn't do the trick I shut the bike off and took a look...

So now my question is: Can/should I fix this on my own somehow? And is this covered under my warranty? It better freakin be thats for sure! I'm gonna give my local dealer a call and see what they can do for me... Any help or advice would be awesome...Thanks guys.... .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 05:36 AM

It should be covered under warranty.

However the problem seems strange. Hole in the muffler can be silver soldered, thats not a big deal, but there shouldnt be any gas there in the first place. Sounds like your engine got flooded somehow.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply Vash! Do you think it could have flooded when I was starting it up with the choke all the way closed? Would that send too much gas in the engine and cause it to leak? Should I try starting it again and see if it runs out? In a worse case scenario is it even safe to drive? Thanks once more for your help guys!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 05:45 AM

Choke could've had something to do with it. To be honest I'm less than fluid in my understanding of carbs.
I'd wait for the bike to warm up in the sun and the fuel to evaporate. Worst case scenario (also not very likely) is that the fuel in the muffler will ignite and blow your muffler right off. Its not likely, but it does happen.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
To be honest I'm less than fluid in my understanding of carbs.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 AM

Are you sure its gas and not water? If its the lowest point in the system it could be a condensation drain to prevent water from pooling and rusting your pipe.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

It's funny that you metioned that, because i just explained what happened to to my girlfriend a few minutes ago and her first thought was condensation. And one thing thats bothering me, How the hell did the hole get there in the first place? I drove it 2 days ago with no problems(i inspect my bike before and after EVERY ride). I put my bike cover on after i parked it and the next day(yesterday) it snowed and rained. So maybe it does have an exhaust hole to let let out condensation! I have never heard of this before but it seems very very logical! Well my lady is takin me to work now so I'll get back with you guys after i call the dealer dudes. Thanks for the advice!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:31 AM

So you're not sure if its actually gas?

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys! Good news maybe! On my way down to my girlfriends car i went over to my bike to lock it up and have one last glance at the problem. First thing i did due to Fast Glass's advice is smell the "liquid" and sure enough it doesn't smell like gas at all. In fact i'm gonna say it almost smells/feels like water. So i get dropped off at work and call the mechanic to see what he thinks. He said it is almost definetly a drainage hole for condensation and to let it run for a few minutes. He said it will eventually taper off and stop draining. If not, then there is still a big problem. So tonight I'm gonna check it out and see what happens. Fingers crossed!!!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:44 AM

Water is much more likely to collect in the muffler. Its almost inevitable if your bike is parked outside.

You can also tell if the hole is intentional by the looks of it. A punchtured hole will have rough edges and the metal will be stretched around it. A rusted hole should have very irregular edges, while a punched (manufactured) hole will have a nice round shape, with maybe a minor burr.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode