Flat Tire or Bent Fork = Swerving? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Flat Tire or Bent Fork = Swerving?

I have a rim that is dent (on the lip) and doesn't hold air in the front. Would this cause the bike to swerve off to one side everytime you ride? Or would a bent fork do this? I am about to repair a rim but don't know if the cause of swerving is made by a flat tire or bent forks. I know this is asking the obvious but I'm just trying to see if repairing a rim would fix this. Because it is hard to tell right now if my forks are bent or not due to the upper fairing being off position
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:26 AM

A flat tire could couse you to swerve in one or both directions, but it could also be the forks...
Sorry that doesnt help much

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
A flat tire could couse you to swerve in one or both directions, but it could also be the forks...
Sorry that doesnt help much
oh naw thas alright, I just wanted to make a few repairs on my bike but I'd rather get the more expensive stuff out the way. Is there anyway to change a tire witout a bike stand??? I'm a cheapo and want to get the tire out today but got no stands

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:34 AM

if you got someplace with a sturdy roof, you can use tie straps to lift the bike by the tripple trees.
Just make sure the crossbeams can handle the extra weight.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 10:38 AM

Check out this website if you want to get stands - http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/...ew.asp?D=1&S=4

I got my front and rear stands from there for $112 shipped.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:47 AM

WTF your riding your bike with a flat?

Yeah that...uh.. might (definatly)cause the bike to swerve..

You plan to repair your rim..uh ok...

Don't eat paint chips fella..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

hah yeah i ride wit a flat tire in the front. all u gotta do is pop a wheelie to your destination. Naw, I had gotten into a wreck and I needed to ride it back to my friends house (2 mins away). An it kept swerving to the right. An yes you can repair rims, not me, but the repair shops should be able to fix bent lips.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 07:16 PM

Fix (flat) rim first. Look for any dimples or creases in fork tubes around the triple tree. It might even be out of alignment.

As for lifting the bike. You can try a floor jack under the front while on kick stand. Its not stable, safe to work or leave unattended that way.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:01 AM

Alright you took your licks

I would advise against repairing that rim, and I think you may have a hard time finding someone who will. Aluminium does not like to bend and can't be heated(the temp. between heated and soup is very close) but I haven't seen how bad it is.

Personally I use my engine hoist to lift the front of my bike. I have heard of guy just laying it on an old mattress. You can lift it between two trees.

As Jeep said get the flat fixed first. Then work on the forks. If you can't see it with your eyes and still suspect they are bent you can try a small straight edge between the triples. The best way is to remove them and check the entire length of the cylinder with a straight edge on 90*'s for 360*. You also need to check the outerscope against the inner scope.

Did you hit something at the front or run over something.

Replace your seals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode