Down at Zero mph. PLZ...Tell me I'm not the only one this has happened too. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Down at Zero mph. PLZ...Tell me I'm not the only one this has happened too.

I had my first drop last night. I knew I was gonna drop my bike sooner/later so I'm not suprised....it just sucks how the shit went down. (Here goes) I was pulling up to the entrance of my neighborhood round midnight to get something to eat. The entrance of my neighborhood comes to a "T-intersection" on to a main street. So I coming to the stop light, normal routine (clutch, downshift, brake). After this I'm slowing down and ready to put my left foot on to the pavement (sometimes both feet, but this time only the left). But something was pulling on my jeans, so I'm thinking maybe somehow the chain caught my jeans. I look down but its too dark to see so I try to set my right foot down, but the same thing. Now my only options are to either go through the red light and hit the cars that are going through the intersection or drop the bike at zero miles per hour. I obviously went with my second option. Only thing is was worried about was the bike crushing my leg, but as I tipping over my right leg was released. So I tried to catch myself and break the bikes fall while still holding on to the handle bars (Cause of this & framesliders it escaped with minor damage). I pick up the bike and drop the kickstand to examine the bike for damages. Just a few scratches on the tail and the brake lever was pushed down. Nothing serious or anything to get upset about. Then at a closer look of the bike I see what was tugging on my jeans. The damn heel guards were bent out from me trying to get free. Luckily nobody really saw me down the bike, so that saved me a lot of embarrassment, but I know I'll get it from yall. Now please tell me that I'm not the only one who has had both pants legs caught on the heel guards at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:43 PM

Hi tru7627-

Tough break and statistically unlikely event! Sorry you went down. Make the repairs and get right back on the horse!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:07 PM

yeah, I'm always worried I'm gonna drop my bike pulling into my garage or something similar.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:35 PM

Very unlikely for the rest of us. Jeans sort of sloopy fit or flared at the bottom or baggy jeans? Well next thing do not get your boot/shoe laces cought on the gearchange lever or someother place.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:00 PM

I dropped my bike in front of my friends house. I had pulledup on the side of the road, which was slanted and unlevel. Put the kickstand down, dismounted, and watched my bike roll over. The kick stand was not down all the way, so it just rolled over. Scratched the side fairing, but that was all. Getting it back up I didn't press the brake so the bike kept rolling away from me when I was tryign to up it. And my katana is one beast of a bike, the title says 460 pounds. All this my friends dad was out in his garden, im sure thinking, who is this jackass...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Smitty-
Your right Smitty, my pants are usually a lil baggy (no belt=pants falling off my ass) and I have already done the "laces on the shifter" thing. I can't switch to nut huggers or burt reynold's jeans so I guess i'm gonna have to tuck the inside of my pants in my shoe/boot and be more careful.

slick1537-
That sounds like some embarrassing shit LoL. I would of jumped back on & hauled ass back to the house. Then hung my head in shame.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 05:00 AM

Almost the exact thing happened to me, only on my friends bike (twice as bad) The forword controls on a cruiser are at a funny angle, and I couldnt get either of my feet out in time.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Hey Vash I feel ya. I would feel worse dropping a friend's bike other than my own, just cause the whole guilt thing. When you drop your own bike ,most of the time you can only be mad at nobody but yourself. Which causes you to feel like an ass for any stupidity that may have led to the drop.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:40 AM

You can rest easy Tru...I am the king of droping. I've only had my bike since Aug. this year( 3 months) and I have managed to drop it SIX times at 0 miles per hour. That doesn't include 3 REALLY close saves...Most of the causes were because of killing it in first and losing balance( which i no longer do) and the two other times were because of the road conditions, i.e. sand and dirt. So far all damage has been almost nothing, minus an 1inch long cat scratch from the bike scraping a rock after i downed it. All the other times i have managed to gently guide it to the ground after that loss of balance occurs. I haven't actually crashed while driving yet which is a relief (still waiting for that day...got the gear to show it...).

We all fall sooner or later, whether it be at breakneck speeds in the winding hills, or backing out of your garage for a peaceful sightseeing ride. Some can be prevented (mine, yours!) but others are up to fate. Lets all just hope that when our time comes, NO ONE IS AROUND TO LAUGH AT YOU... lol...

Glad to see you came out on top...sort of.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:07 AM

When I first got my yzf600r I was chainging the oil at a hobby shop on base. Well they didn't have the right kind of jack so I tried to make one work. Had it up in the air balancing and it very slowly started to lean, I jumped up to grab it but it was far enough that I couldn't hold it, I tried like hell though and went down myself refusing to let go. The fall cracked the fairing, but no other damage. Damn I was pissed. Other than that I did have one close call while I was on the bike but managed to save it.

Six times matrix?!?! LMAO...

-M-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode