Transporting - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Transporting

What would i need to buy to get my bike in my truck strapped in safely for 500 mile trip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:02 AM

two of those ratchet style tie down straps will work just fine. Put them around the top part of the forks or the clipons, it's up to you. ratchet them down to the point where the suspension is almost completely compressed. put the bike in gear, and you're golden. If you're really really worried about it you can put some on the back but I don't really think it's necessarry. I drove all the way to florida with my bike like that and hod no problems at all.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

you dont need nothing to hold the tire?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 11:53 AM

a really great product is called a "canyon dancer" that slips over the clip ons and then can be hooked into a ratcheting tie down. nothing else is needed, assuming you have a trailer and/or a truck with a place to hook the tie down hooks. dont need to do the back tire but im a belt and suspenders kind of guy and i usually do tire the rear down just to be extra safe. follw the advice above and you'll be fine.

during the drive check to make sure everything is secure every so often too
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:34 PM

Canyon dancers (or their generic counterpart) are required on some bikes. Sometimes you cannot get a streight shot from the clip ons to the tie down points, the fairings get in the way. Canyon dancers are the solution.
If you can get a streight shot, dont worry about it.
When you got the forks compressed the entire weight of your bike will be on the front wheel. You can move the rear wheel from side to side with you hand (And you may have to, in order to close the tailgate)
Anyways, there is virtually no way the front wheel can go anywhere if you did this right.

Oh, and you need a ramp!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Could someone post a pic of there strapping in action, just so i fully understand the position of the straps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode