how cold is cold? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

how cold is cold?

How cold is it in your area? and when do you decided to call it quits from riding due to cold weather? Its currently 28 degrees in NC (tonight) and driving through that was very very chilling. Mind you I had boots, 2 pants, 3 undershirts, pair of gortex gloves and 1 leather jacket as clothing. I stayed under 45 the whole ride back home. I think its time to invest in some neck socks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:12 PM

I was in Elizabeth City Nc from Jan-May. I Live in LA, CA and I was going to miss my bike so I put it in the back of my truck and brought it with me. I only rode a couple of time for two reasons.
1) The roads suck, it was a 40 mile straight away to Norfolk
2) It was freeeeeeeezing.
It was so cold that I wasnt even having any fun anymore. I used to wear my armour jacket, two sweatshirts underneath, and a pair of sweat under my jeans. It was no fun at all, I could bearly move when I had all that stuff on. I feel sorry for you, I hop you at least live next to a twon wheres theirs REAL people. I will not go back to NC unless my life depends on it.
Is this enough info for ya?
Cold=NC
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 09:31 PM

Hi All-

I'm good down to around the mid-40's or so. Below that it starts getting painful without frequent breaks for hot coffee. What I would give for heated grips (like BMW offers...) and a plug-in for a heated vest as OEM straight from the factory! As long as I could be fairly certain not to encounter ice on the roadways I would darn near ride year-round...

~ Blue Jays ~

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 09:57 PM

oh yea, I hate black ice. I saw some here in LA on the 405 a few weeks ago. Yes, it got that cold. Looks like its going to be a cold winter this year.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 10:30 PM

I used to draw the line at 32 degrees. Windchill doesn't increase significantly above 40 mph, riding slow or fast doesn't really make a big difference. I usually wore a pull over windbreaker over my riding jacket. Stop the wind, and stay dry, and you'll be fine.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 03:31 AM

Come down to FL, all riding all season, hehe. Even at 60 degrees at morning, some people are riding with t-shirts on. Only trade off is curvy roads , just miles of long straights and cops everywhere.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 03:51 AM

Heh Heh, asuming I get my machine up and running well I am gonna ride it no matter how cold. Just bundle up and only ride when the roads are dry is my plan. It can get to be like -15 F here at extremes. More commonly in the 0-30 F range during winter.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 06:56 AM

Temperature doesn't matter to me. I just did a 150 mile jaunt in mid 30s weather with an average speed of 85 on the highway. Had to pick up a new battery cable for my truck and the only dealer that had it was in BFE.
I did my MSF in a rain/snow mix too.

After the first snow of the year though I put the bike away. Michigan has this idea that every inch of roadway needs 10lbs. of salt. Even on a dry road that salt will make it slick.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 08:42 AM

Would you like to have the fun of first shoveling out your driveway of around 8" of snow, & more coming down or just try to stay upright on your 400+ pound m/c?

Personally when the wind chill factory comes around to being a bummer cold ride & almost half the time to dress up for the run as JBaz pointed out in "--I had boots, 2 pants, 3 undershirts, pair of gortex gloves and 1 leather jacket as clothing. ---that is when I call it sensless to ride.--" I do hope he wears boots on most of the other riding.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:33 AM

It gets close to freezing in my area during winter, but it's never too cold to ride. We don't get snow or ice either, so it's pretty much "game on" all year 'round.

BTW, it's 5:30am here and it's currently 23C (73F). I've got shorts and a t-shirt on.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode