Big Brother Cameras - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Big Brother Cameras

Quote:
ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras are being used to create a "24x7 national vehicle movement database" that will log the movement of every vehicle on the United Kingdom's roads. Your every move will be retained in the system for two years.
According to an article in The Register, the system will go live in April of next year and will process 50 million number plates per day by year's end. ANPR camera systems are to be placed every 400 yards along motorways.

(ANPR mobile unit)

Besides "denying criminals the use of the roads", the system will also link to other databases to identify vehicles that are unregistered and untaxed. The system will be used in the war on terror; UK police have lobbied for detention periods of up to 90 days without charges for terror suspects. Once police have a tip or a suspect in custody, they can sift records of vehicle movement along with everything else.
Well that worries me abit. I'm conserned how all this data is going to be used. Of course many others will argue against the existance of the system itself.

Luckily for some of us, the expance of putting something like that in the states will keep it from happening for quiet some time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 01:44 PM

Not to mention the speeding tickets they're going to be able to write!

Coming to a state near you!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah.. the speeding tickets are the real problem. I'm going to assume, and most of you will probly agree that less than 10% of speeding offenders are cought (I honestly thinkg its more like less than 0.1%)

By that logic, if such a system could guarantee 100% speed enforcment the revenues will be plenty enough to pay for it, as well a whole new highway system, military, and space program.
However it would absolutely cripple the economy.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
...it would absolutely cripple the economy.
Or, it could just encourage people to not speed.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Hi All-

That's the difference between "subjects" and "citizens" when the topic of overreaching and power-hungry government is discussed. These cameras are an insult to all decent and law-abiding people.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:00 PM

The decent and law-abiding citizens should have no reason to worry about them, now should they?

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Hi cookeetree-
Quote:
"...The decent and law-abiding citizens should have no reason to worry about them, now should they?..."
Then you won't mind if the government can peer into your financial portfolio or read your e-mail and snailmail anytime they wish? You'll also support having cameras mounted in various locations within your home? After all, in the words of intrusive American legislators, "It's for the children!"

The frog never notices that he is being boiled if the water is heated slowly. It's a mighty slippery slope out there cookeetree...and not just according to conservative people like me.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:45 PM

You're no longer talking about the installation of cameras on roads, which is the topic my comment was aimed at.

We've had speed cameras in Australia for years now. Many people complain that they do nothing except raise revenue. Strangely, these are the same people who speed and get caught. I've never heard an old lady, who putters around in her Volvo, complain about them.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:50 PM

Hate to pile on, cookee, but the government or anyone having that much information about its people is dangerous. The potential for abuse is enormous. Let's say a woman co-worker of mine needs a ride home because her car is being repaired. And somehow this image (data) of her in my car makes it back to my wife/girlfriend, however innocent.

The potential for abuse, such as blackmail by unscrupulous government workers or private industry contracted to run this system, is very real. Private businesses having surveillance cameras for security is one thing, but for government to set up a national system, is another.

Every bone in my body says full time surveillance of my movements once I leave my house is not in my best interest or anyone else. Besides, I just donít like being spied upon however altruistic.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 04:04 PM

Check out google earth if you want to see something scary. You can zoom in on anything in the world including military sites. I looked at my barracks on camp pendelton. Now these images on the site are still photos and about 2 years old. If this is avalible to the public think about the live streaming video "they" have. I'm sure it's much more advanced than what google shows us. Even with what they show us anyone can see where the military stores anything that can be seen from the air. On a map military sites are blocked out, for a reason I thought. Now you can just jump on google earth and see whats there, not just roads and stuff that's on a map. Crazy...

-M-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode