Sportbike World banner

Big Brother Cameras

8K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  christhanah274 
#1 ·
ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras are being used to create a "24x7 national vehicle movement database" that will log the movement of every vehicle on the United Kingdom's roads. Your every move will be retained in the system for two years.
According to an article in The Register, the system will go live in April of next year and will process 50 million number plates per day by year's end. ANPR camera systems are to be placed every 400 yards along motorways.

(ANPR mobile unit)

Besides "denying criminals the use of the roads", the system will also link to other databases to identify vehicles that are unregistered and untaxed. The system will be used in the war on terror; UK police have lobbied for detention periods of up to 90 days without charges for terror suspects. Once police have a tip or a suspect in custody, they can sift records of vehicle movement along with everything else.
Well that worries me abit. I'm conserned how all this data is going to be used. Of course many others will argue against the existance of the system itself.

Luckily for some of us, the expance of putting something like that in the states will keep it from happening for quiet some time.

#27 ·
Are we plotting some lawless action that will show total disregard for the government? I'm in! I'll be the driver and Smitty can be set up in the back of the van taking out the cameras as we fly by them. :laughing:

#28 ·
Gheez guys.:eek: I thought I was right out there on the edge, flicking boogers and crapping my pants.:mad: I guess my ideas are looking pretty lame at this point.:( :D

#29 · (Edited)
To be honest Dad some of your posts make one 'ell of a lot sense to me. Allow me to rephrase that to "basically all your posts make good sense to me". I sometimes do not get that deep into the discussion(s) as I feel what you typed was "right on".

DL mind you with this modern age I probably sound like a stick & stone man compared to all the new ways rather then actually using a vintage f/arm.

Though to-day at the range was a ball as I hammered a lot of ammo in 45ACP & 38 Spl., true a bit of .22 & around 14 rnds of 9X19. Now positive I am going to try a powder Winchester has discarded for something else. For I have something like 11+ pounds of it & have been using it in my 38Spl with good groupings so might just as well go onto loads for the 45ACP. Like different powders are definate challenges for good loads & good groupings. With 11+ pounds of it & only using 3.1 gr for 38 Spl & possibly 4.8 to 5.0gr for the 45 that will last for some time. You see for indoor shooting at just 25 yds one does not need heavy loads.

#30 ·
I've seen similar camaras (gatsos) in london. The problem is any reflective coating on the plate will disrupt the photo. So some of the locals see them as a toy ( sometimes posing while doing their favorite trick) rather than a way to moniter speeders.

#31 ·
4-Play said:
I've seen similar camaras (gatsos) in london. The problem is any reflective coating on the plate will disrupt the photo. So some of the locals see them as a toy ( sometimes posing while doing their favorite trick) rather than a way to moniter speeders.
Yeah, but thats a technical issue.. It'll get sorted out.

#33 ·
apuddy said:
Say you have a helmet on. I dont see how they could ticket you anything until they can prove that it was you on the bike.
They build a database of your movement... Chances are you speed down the same roads... They'll just have someone waiting for you.

#34 ·
They build a database of your movement... Chances are you speed down the same roads... They'll just have someone waiting for you.
I see what your saying but thats really no different then a plane clocking you and then a Patrol pulling you over.

#35 ·
Except for the effectivness. This will be close to 100% effective. Thus anytime you speed, they will know. Not just if there happens to be a plane in the air...

#36 ·
apuddy said:
Say you have a helmet on. I dont see how they could ticket you anything until they can prove that it was you on the bike.
With speed and red light cameras over here, they mail the fine to the registered owner of the vehicle.

That person can then declare that another person was operating the vehicle at that time, but they have to put the person's details, including licence number, on the form.

People use that as a loophole to avoid accumulating points on their licence. They "sell" the fine to someone else who then declares they were driving and gets points on their licence.

In a three year period, you can accrue no more than twelve demerit points. Then you lose your licence.

#37 ·
There is a big push to put black boxes on cars. Some high end cars already have them. If Congress mandates all motor vehicles to have black boxes, including bikes, then we are screwed.

BTW, I can remember back in the 1960s when they proposed mandatory emission controls on passenger cars. A lot of people said it would never happen. Too expensive and the American public wouldn't stand for their engines being messed with. Love Canal happened, the EPA was born, and the rest is history as they say.

#38 ·
A long stretch of road , no traffic ,open it up to clean out the cobwebs and feel the rush....
4 days later get a ticket for speeding in the mail...HHmmmmm.

Can you say Intrusive Government Bastards? Whats next ?

A breath Tax,, sir you inhaled 43,296 times today so you will have to pay a tax of $2.98....

#39 ·
Nailer45 said:
A long stretch of road , no traffic ,open it up to clean out the cobwebs and feel the rush....
4 days later get a ticket for speeding in the mail...HHmmmmm.

Can you say Intrusive Government Bastards?...
Mate, it's called breaking the law. How is it any different to being caught by a cop and getting ticketed on the spot???

You wanna play, you gotta be prepared to pay.

I'm not altar boy. I do my fair share of speeding. However, if I get caught, I'm, "Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir". It's my fault, not his.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.