Feeling screwed by dealer - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 05:45 PM

You're in Miami right, and so is the dealer? What is the name? If it's Miami, then it figures. Tell them to go fuk themselves. If you the buy the parts yourself and do it with collaboration of your friends, it should be so damn cheap. Dealers over here... above Palm Beach are nice and honest. Individuals mechanics aren't all honest either, sometimes you find the hard way. Usually these leaks are bolts, or gaskets, or seals and wouldn't cost more than $50.00, yet those aholes advice you to replace the entire part, so they can charge you for extra labor and percentage they receive from ordering and selling the parts.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 11-19-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 07:04 PM

Has this bike been crashed, vandalized, or worked on by gorillas? If not, what are the chances of two sealing surfaces and an oil cooler failing simultaneously? I expect the odds of you doing it yourself are much better.

Assuming you know where the generator cover, oil cooler, and drain plug are, do this - First, visually examine the cover. If it is not cracked, and if the sealing surface is not damaged, you do not need a new one. Clean the cover & the area around it.

Next, examine the oil cooler. If the fins are not damaged, carefully clean it of any oil & move on.

Lastly, the drain plug. Clean it of any oil.

Now start your bike up & let it run for a few minutes. Shut it off, and examine the parts for any evidence of oil leaking.

If leaking from the generator cover, a new gasket and a little silicone seal should fix it - total cost well under $20 dollars & 1/2 hour of work.

If leaking from the oil cooler, remove the cooler & take it to a radiator repair shop. Should be well under $100 dollars, and at very worst 2 hours work, more likely to be less than 1 hour.

Not very likely to be leaking from the drain plug, more likely running down from wherever it is leaking from and accumulating there.

How you feeling about that dealer right now?................
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your prompt responses.

And yes it was the Palmetto Kawasaki. I shoulda known better with dealers located in Hialeah!

My friend is experienced in working on the bike and he says not to even bother ordering parts til we look closely at the bike because it's probably something simple. Anyhow I'm going to be by his side for experience so in the future I learn to do these things myself.

I'm picking up the bike on monday and paying them the estimate cost (by the way they tried screwing me saying that the estimate was 300.00 but a quick call from Kawasaki Consumer Relations and I got it to the appropriate estimate price)

On a lighter note I just finished completing/passing my MSF basic rider course. So I'm in a good mood.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 03:03 PM

None of those issues are really all that bad. The fork seals suck due to needing the propper tool, but as far as the rest it should'nt exceed $600. Christ, to do a tranny job on an R6 ( those of you with 99-02 models know what I'm talking about.) it only sets you back $800. And that's a lot of work.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Revelation715
Thanks for your prompt responses.

And yes it was the Palmetto Kawasaki. I shoulda known better with dealers located in Hialeah!

Couldn't have come up with better story myself. The owner seemed nice (we spoke through emails once). But his staff, well you figured that out. lol. May be if you speak to the owner about this, explain your situation and how you were treated, you could get better quotes.

Been there couple of times and bought a few things, they don't have the most concenred salespersons either. What's your bike?
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 05:56 AM

Can you post some pics of your bike with the fairings off? Either your bike is seriously injured machine or your dealer is a lying SOB.

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

I'm picking it up today at 3pm EST hopefully. I will try to take some pics today if I can get a hold of my friends camera.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Looks like there has been a change of plans. I thought I could rely on my neighbor but hes still sleeping. So I will have to find a repair shop or another dealer and hope they wont charge me 1k...because this isn't the first time I've been sold out my him.

I'm so upset because after purchasing it I've only ridden it two days and it's been unavailable for about two weeks now.

And I'm losing time/money at work because I have to leave early to take care of all these matters.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Revelation715

I'm so upset because after purchasing it I've only ridden it two days and it's been unavailable for about two weeks now.

And I'm losing time/money at work because I have to leave early to take care of all these matters.
Hey, hang in there. I've had to wait and do the same, had my bike for a month sitting at a mechanic's shop. Turned out he was a lying scumb, and found out the hard way, had to pay $220.00 for all his BS check ups. Eventually, the bike will get fixed, just think about how fast you'll lane split through Palmetto,
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Had a few friends take a look at the bike and told me what i should order. I went ahead and bought the parts needed and then some. Now I'm just waiting for shipment to arrive (4-5 days) and start fixing it with friends.

If anyone is interested I can make a photo journal of work done on it.

Going to replace the cover generator, oil cooler, coolant reservoir and put seals on the front forks.

I'm learning so much from overall experiences and so far I'm saving 600 bucks from unecessary labor and highly marked up prices on parts from dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode