Tires - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Tires

I've got 3,300 mi. now on my Bridgestone BT-012SS tires. They still have some tread left but I'm not sure how much. I'm looking for some new tires that'll have a little more life in 'em.

I've looked at the Metzler Z6's (now crazy about the look though) and the Michelin Pilot Roads (look a little better). Anyone have suggestions?

BTW, how much can I safety wear down the Bridgestones? Should I stop once they're even with the wear markers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:19 PM

Once your at the wear marks...time for new tires..

Try the Pirelli Diablos they are suppose to last fairly long, yet offer good traction both in the dry, and in the wet..and they are good enough to do a track day on em..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:44 PM

On the advice of a board member here, I recently mounted an Avon ST rear. People on other boards have been claiming 8-10k miles out of this tire on ZX12's, which are tire destroyers . At first I was concerned about grip, but after a couple of runs through the curves, I'm well satisfied with the amount of grip offered by this tire. If the mileage claims prove true, I'll leave all the 4k mile tires for the racers.

PS, once you hit the wear bars, you have 500 - 1000 miles left, but your bike won't be nearly as enjoyable because the tire will be worn too far from it's original profile.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Avon ST, is that the whole name? Guess I'm not too familiar with those.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 06:03 AM

I love the Z6's. I get almost 10k out of them on my R1100S. Great in the wet too. Provide plenty of traction. I can get my cylinder heads down with those on. I just moved to the M1's on my 1000RR. Hope I can get 5k out of em. Oh, had the Diablo's on the 1000RR. The M1's are way stickier, but again, we will see how many miles they are good for.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 09:11 AM

Belive you will get a bit longer life out of the Bridgestone BT-014. I have found best to use BT-012 on the front & BT-014 on the rear. Basically the smaller the number the softer & more sticky they are though that also means they wear out faster.

For instant I note most Yamaha FZ6 bikes, in this area, are fitted with BT-020 as it is closer to a cruising tyre in traction & also a good tyre in price & traction for that make/model rather then something as soft as you are using. Yet the Yamaha FZ6 riders claim great riding ability to a harder tyre they you or I use.

Last edited by Smitty; 11-18-2005 at 09:16 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
Avon ST, is that the whole name? Guess I'm not too familiar with those.
AV46ST..........
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 AM

+1 on the Avons. I got 8k out of the rear on the Z1k. Could've laster longer If it wasnt for all the damn nails. I wouldnt do a track day on that tire, but for twisties the grip is pretty damn good.
I suspect the tire uses different compounds on center and sides. When cold the tire would sometime slip at the beginning of a lean, but wouldnt give once leaned over.
Over all, its a great tire.
As for Diablo's, I love em, but they dont last.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 03:41 PM

I think one thing that would help is knowing how you ride.Do you hit the track,twisties,striaghts,drag? Theres a diffrence in tire for each catagory.It's the diffrence between a 8k pilot road and 4k 208. Tires are built for diffrent riders.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 04:28 PM

You guys grip about getting 3k or more miles out of a tire...????

When I was riding on the street, I was Lucky if I got 1800 mi. out of a rear tire....

Vash...which Diablo's did you have ..?

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode